Unable to get sound through sound bar from TX-P5OS20B

PJMaybe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've got a TX-P5OS20B which has, among others, an ARC HDMI port and an optical audio output. I simply cannot get the sound form the TV to come through my new soundbar (Yamaha C20A) which has 1x HDMI port, 1x digital audio, 1x digital audio labelled 'TV'. I followed the instructions from Yamaha carefully - connect TV audio out to the 'TV' on the SBar. Connecting the ARC HDMI on the TV to the HDMI on the SBar will also give the TV control over the SBar.

I've tried every possible combination using the TV port and the audio port on the SBar. Both with and without the HDMI. And just the HDMI on its own. I can never get the sound through. I selected 'Home theatre' for speaker settings on the Viera link controls and I can control the Sbar volume from the TV remote but there is no sound coming through. When I select the 'TV' input on the Sbar it is just silent (also no sound form TV). When I select any other option the TV sound works again.

I plugged the Sbar audio port directly into a TV box and it worked perfectly. It also works okay through Bluetooth from my phone so I'm sure it's not the SBar at fault. I've tried different HDMI cables and audio cables.

Pics of ports attached. Please can anyone give me some guidance here?

Attachments

• TV pic.jpg
    TV pic.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Soundbar pic.jpg
    Soundbar pic.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 32
Disconnect the optical cable and connect HDMI Arc on TV to HDMI Arc on the Soundbar.
You may need to enable Arc on the Soundbar, check your user manual.
Disconnect both the TV and Soundbar at the power socket for a few minutes then switch both on.

Thanks for your reply. I tried it - I hadn't realised I had to enable the soundbar, it wasn't mentioned in the installation instuctions included but I found a full user guide online. Anyway, it is still the same. I can control the volume from the TV control and the sound from the TV speakers cuts out but there is no sound coming through the soundbar.

I've found a temporary solution - I used a 4 in 1 out switch to put all my sources in and HDMI out to the TV. It has an optical out which I've routed to the soundbar and that works. So it seems it is just a problem when the source is the TV. I don't want to keep this setup though because I use the optical out on the switch for when I use a projector - so still looking for solutions or ideas please!

When troubleshooting HDMI Arc always disconnect the optical.
On some TV brands/models HDMI ARC is disabled if Optical is in use and Optical is disabled if HDMI ARC is in use.
What source on your TV are you using…it's internal tuner or equipment connected to one of the AV inputs?
Did you power-cycle the TV and Soundbar after enabling Arc as I suggested?

Thanks for your help. Just to be sure, I tried it again like this.

Full power off to both, no HDMI or audio cables in either.
Connect TV HDMI 2 (ARC) to SBar HDMI (ARC)
Power on to both
Initialised the SBar.
Enabled HDMI control on the SBar
Power off to both for a couple of mins
Connect Android box to TV HDMI 1
Power TV and Sbar back on
Select 'Home Cinema' for speaker selection on the TV's Viera Link settings.

When the TV source is selected on the SBar there is no sound at all from either the TV or the SBar.
The vol control on the TV remote brings up the 'home cinema volume bar on the TV - but it doesn't change the volume indicator lights on the SBar and there's still no sound.

I wondered if it is the settings on the TV are wrong but there aren't really many settings to look at except the speaker selection. I put pics of the menus I see for sound options. In the TV user manual it shows a setting for SPDIF selection which I can't find at all.
Or does the SBar have o be compatible with the TV? Or with Viera link? and maybe it isn't?

Attachments

• 2022-11-26 18.20.37.jpg
    2022-11-26 18.20.37.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2022-11-26 18.23.46.jpg
    2022-11-26 18.23.46.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2022-11-26 18.25.48.jpg
    2022-11-26 18.25.48.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 20
You need to select the HDMI as your source on your Soundbar as that is where your TV sound is coming from.
Do you have an aerial connected to your TV?
If not and your Android box is your only TV source go into the Android box digital audio output settings and toggle it's settings between Dolby D and PCM then check if you now get sound.

The only source options on the Sbar are:
TV, optical, Bluetooth, Analogue
The Sbar instructions say select TV fir HDMI input.

I tried all sound options on android box for audio device: Default output, spdif pass through, HDMI bitstream.
Only default works at all but still not through the Sbar.

Tried the Sky box too.
Changed audio output from normal to DD. Still same. No sound but am able to control the Sbar volume with the tv remote.

Thanks very much for trying to help me out but after a week trying to fix this I’ve given up. A few solutions I found elsewhere say to change the TV’s output to PCM but there’s no option for that on my TV. I reset TV to factory settings and there’s no software updates but it’s still not there in the menu.

I’ve found a work around that is adequate, although not ideal.

I’ve got 3 sources going into a HDMI switch. The HDMI out goes through an audio extractor and I put an optical cable from that to the Sbar and a HDMI to the tv. Had to buy another HDMI cable and I can’t control the Sbar with the tv control but at least the tv sound comes from the Sbar now.

So it works when it doesn’t go through the tv. It is 12yrs old so maybe it’s just too old 🤷🏻‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom