Unable to get Freeview HD on Panasonic TVs

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by RonBowater, Aug 1, 2012.

1. RonBowater

RonBowater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi .. I need some advice. We normally view TV using Freesat but have a couple of other TV's in the house which have to use Freeview (as they don't have Freesat and I don't have any outputs left on the LNB anyway). The two Freeview TV's are both Panasonic and both are able to receive 75+ channels of SD perfectly. However, the problem is that neither of them is able to detect any valid HD channels on Ch 21 (which is the HD MUX from Rowridge). One of the Panasonic TV's tells me that on CH21, the signal strength is 10 but signal quality is zero. I have a 14 element horizontally polarized aerial on the roof (just bought from B&Q as an experiment to see if it fixes the problems) and a 4-way booster/splitter in the loft. Changing the aerial from an older 21 element (which was previously in the loft) doesn't fix the problem, neither does bypassing the booster for each TV in turn. I also took another aerial and connected it via a 4 metre length of coax directly to the TV antenna input. Waving the aerial about indoors gives me a 10 strength signal but signal quality is always zero. Strange thing is that I have a Sony TV in the lounge which I normally use with a Humax Freesat box but switching the TV to it's internal DVB tuner, the four HD channels are received perfectly.

So, I'm totally baffled as to why these two Panasonic TV's (one about four years old, the other bought earlier this year) are unable to receive HD channels from Rowridge.

Any suggestions please ? I'm an retired electronics/computer engineer and think that I know TV stuff fairly well but I'm completely baffled on this one and don't have a clue as to what to do next. Is there a possibility that the Panasonic TV's need a config change to enable HD or maybe they actually don't support HD at all.

Thanks
    Ron Bowater

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Are you sure your TV's are capable of getting Freeview HD. Just because the TV is FULL HD does not mean it has a Freeview HD capable tuner.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The actual model numbers of your Panny's would be most useful! :)

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    You need to check the tuner spec in the TV documentation. For the 4 year old one there is no chance (DVB-T2 didn't exist outside prototypes). Freeview-HD in the UK uses a newer and more efficient transmission system (DVB-T2 compared to DVB-T). If the spec of the newer TV only says DVB-T it cannot be used without a a seperate set top box for Freeview-HD in the UK.

5. RonBowater

RonBowater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys ... looks like I may be out of luck then.

The Panasonic is a TX-L26X10B. But I was mistaken .. the second TV is a more recently purchased Samsung UE22D5003 which claims to be 'Full HD Freeview' which from what I now understand may not be 'Full HD Freeview HD'.

So, what should I be looking for in specs to check this out ?

Thanks
    Ron

6. RonBowater

RonBowater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the spec of the Samsung and it definitely can't receive Freeview HD. So I guess that I'm out of luck with both TV's. Thanks for your advice anyway .. solved my problem quickly although not in the way that I would have wished. At least I can take the new aerial back to B&Q in the morning !

So, another question .. what's the best value set-top box which is guaranteed to receive Freeview HD ?

7. which telly

which telly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I refer the learned gentleman to this post -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17391919-post8.html

:hiya:

8. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Hi
    I have the I-can receiver:

Maplin Electronics : Freeview HD Set Top Boxes

Only issue is it won't give out surround sound on Freeview HD if you intended using a surround amplifier. It only gives out stereo. Other than that I find it very good and very user friendly with a great picture.

Easy to take back if you don't like it.

There's another unit "Technika" that has been mentioned a lot and I think Tesco's supplied them but not sure if they are still on sale.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
  10. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: