Unable to download Google Home onto old tablet

dogfonos

Recently purchased a Google Chromecast Gen3 and intended to set it up using my Android 4.4.2 tablet. However, I am prevented from downloading a previous version of Google Home from APKmirror. The message I get when I try to download says something about checking DDNS (Cloudflare or something???) and that it may take a few seconds. Well, 30 mins later and the message is still there. Repeated this a couple of times and got the same result. I also went through the process of downloading an AKP on my Windows PC just to see if the message disappears after a few seconds - which it did (obviously, I didn't continue with the download). So why is the old tablet not getting past the DDNS check stage?

A year or so ago I did install a suitable version of the Google Home app from APKmirror on the old tablet and set up my Chromecast Audio with it and I didn't get this DDNS problem. I have since removed the app.

Second question: Should I even bother with the above because my tablet has a (software build?) Nov 2015 date yet Chromecast Gen3 entered the market in 2018. I'm thinking that a Google Home app compatible with my 4.4.2 tablet may not even recognise the Chromecast Gen3. How would anyone know this other than trial and error?

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom