Unable to copy and paste

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by laserbeam, Jun 26, 2019.

1. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am trying to copy and paste some music from a external drive onto a memory stick to use in the car but when I click on paste I get the following message does anyone know what it means.

Attached Files:

2. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,789
    Just from the photo, your PC is trying to paste to drive "F" which doesn’t exist (your external usb drive is labelled "E")

Have you tried removing the drive and plugging it back in? Reformatting it? (Just ideas as I don’t own a windows PC)

3. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This what I am trying to do I have one of the following.
    TOSHIBA STOR.E ART 3 500Gb (41709) | eBay
    Which has a lot of music tracks on it but cannot play in the car I have now got a new memory stick but after I have copied some I try to paste but there is no paste option when I right click on the mouse.The device I tried to paste to when I got that message was really old so that is why I have now got a new memory stick.There is plenty of space on the stick.

4. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Have you tried copying from the external disk to your pc hard disk, removing the external disk and then plugging in the memory stick?

5. Will I Aint

Will I Aint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    you only have one removable device listed on your screenshot, if you are trying to compy from one to another then they both need to be visible. try reconnecting both and confirm they both get assigned a drive letter before you try to move any files. also make sure hte memory stick is toggled to be writable as they often have a small switch.

6. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    is the USB formatted correctly, if not format it before you start. Also check what format you need for the car FAT or NTFS.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,673
    You’re trying to copy to drive F: but you haven’t got drive F: in your explorer window. Is E: your external storage and F: your USB stick?

If so, try a different USB slot for your USB stick.

8. techquest

techquest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Your screenshot suggests you only have one external drive plugged in. However your system, not you, chose the F drive, so it's a bit of a strange one and could be a faulty stick or USB port.

Can you show us a screenshot with the both drives plugged in so we can see if they are both there? Also a shot of a right click properties of each of the external drives?

I doubt the format makes a difference to your in car player, could be wrong, but maybe the USB 3 does. What make/model is your in car player?

Your trying to copy from a 500 GB drive to a USB stick, so you could only copy data blocks that would fit the USB stick capacity. What make/model/capacity is your new USB stick?

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,312
  10. techquest

techquest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Sorry, don't see how that helps with laserbeam's issue. In any event you can right click, copy and paste just as easy as dragging and dropping. The problem posted seems to be more to do with the USB drive not showing/being recognised properly in File Explorer. But I'm sure we can help identify the issue if provided with all the necessary information to do so.

11. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just tried it with another memory stick same make and size and I copied all the tracks in one go and then pasted them all together and it worked fine.I have just tried to copy and paste some different music to the problem memory stick and that failed so it looks like a faulty stick.But thanks for all the replies