• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Unable to cope with two HD streams

RobM

Distinguished Member
I have a Thomson HD box which has been flawless since day one, with one exception... it isn't man enough to cope with two HD streams. The picture breaks up, sound stutters and generally it's unwatchable if you are watching one HD feed and recording another.

Yesterday got even worse, as the New EPG couldn't even cope with a simple clash warning. I chose the recording to cancel and the box turned off.

Are the newer boxes any better? I have the D&G cover so could claim for it if necessary or, if all else fails, buy a new box.

kenedin

Prominent Member
I have a Thomson HD box which has been flawless since day one, with one exception... it isn't man enough to cope with two HD streams. The picture breaks up, sound stutters and generally it's unwatchable if you are watching one HD feed and recording another.

Yesterday got even worse, as the New EPG couldn't even cope with a simple clash warning. I chose the recording to cancel and the box turned off.

Are the newer boxes any better? I have the D&G cover so could claim for it if necessary or, if all else fails, buy a new box.

Your Thomson digibox now appears to be failing - probably the usual PSU problem. Lots of posts on this topic. Time to get a replacement thru' D&G - you've paid them enough already, so they can now earn it. It maybe another Thomson, but it's not certain.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
A lot of people have sporadic issues with the HD box handling two or more HD streams, a reboot normally clears this up but obviously you lose any recordings active at the time.
If however the problem is all the time then yes it's a more serious issue, hard drive or perhaps PSU as mentioned.

Sorreltiger

Established Member
As Starburst has said, this is a fault which will usually clear if you do a reboot.
Unplug from mains, plug in again and wait a couple of minutes before powering up from standby.

simon194

Prominent Member
Mind you if it's an early Thomson with a Maxtor Quickview drive they do have problems.

My Thomson box had exactly the same problem until I replaced the drive with a Western Digital one and then thewre was no problem recording 2 HD streams and watching an HD recording.

Smurkenstein

Established Member
aye, I had the problems you describe - two part fix - try to keep the box cool and reboot as starburst stays

psu replacement might also fix it - I have a new psu - but I havent had the HD stuttering since I took my sky box away from the AV amp, which gets very hot.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Can anybody recommend a reliable supplier of replacement PSU's?

I've just been searching through this forum for the answer and found references to Satcure, but can't find it on their site. eBay don't seem to have any kits, only people who want the entire box sent to them.

I'd rather not have to solder the capacitors myself, so if somebody can recommend somewhere to buy a replacement I'd be very grateful.

I think this has to be a preferred option than using D&G, so if I can find a supplier I'll cancel the warranty.

SamRadford

Prominent Member
....found references to Satcure, but can't find it on their site.

Welcome to the Internet. ;)
You click on the orange "Search" tab at the top of any page.
Type in Thomson DSI8215 PSU.
Press Return.
:rolleyes:

Or you click on the orange "Shop" tab, click on "Go to Satellite TV Index" then on "Receiver spares 12: "

Last edited:

RobM

Distinguished Member
I should have worded my question slightly differently...

Can anybody recommend a supplier of replacement PSU's that doesn't require my one to be sent in advance?

If I told the Mrs that she would be without Sky for eight working days, I would be with my balls for much longer.

SamRadford

Prominent Member
Why not use one of the listed local repairers?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Finding the time to take the box to somebody is pretty tricky at the moment, whereas ordering a replacement PSU and fitting it in my own time means I can fit it around work.

SamRadford

Prominent Member
The other option suggested by Satcure is that you buy a used Thomson Sky+ off eBay or wherever, send them the PSU out of it and do the exchange on that basis. Then you sell your own (faulty) PSU to recoup the cost. (I believe Satcure will give you £25 for it).

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom