Unable to connect Samsung Blu ray to internet

stinger2k2

Standard Member
Hi guys and gals,

I have a Samsung BD-P1620 blu ray player. I have connected it wirelessly to my hub. It connected
ok using WPS and it shows that it is connected.

When i run the network connection test it passes the first 3 tests but fails the last one - Internet service test.

I have tried the following...

Updated the players firmware via usb method.

Multiple reboots of hub and blu ray

Changed DNS server to manual and tried various different public servers.

Turned off hub firewall

Contacted BT (my isp) to check my hub settings and they said there is

no reason for the blu ray not to connect properly.

Checked connection speed 108 mbs (i have BT infinity fibre).

All to no avail

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stinger

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Does it have an ethernet port that you could try instead> Try changing the wireless frequency from 2.4 to 5, or the other way round. Try a factory reset of the player.

Clem

Fred Smith

Probably too old at ten years, I had a BD-P1600 which went the same way.

stinger2k2

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Having tried Clem's suggestions with no luck I am leaning toward Fred's prognosis. It is annoying that it connects to the wifi ok, pings the gateway ok, but still no internet.

Thanks for looking.

Stinger

stinger2k2

Standard Member
Check recorder's clock is correct
Jonoro, thanks for the suggestion. Certainly worth a try but unfortunately the clock was correct. I checked the time zone etc at the same time. I restarted the box to be sure it had taken effect but no luck. Sigh.

thanks
Stinger

jonoro

I suggest that you make sure MAC filtering is off in your router, it it is already off then try temporarily turning off wifi encryption.
You said you tried Clem_Dye's suggestions, so a wired connection to the router does not work?

P6UL K

Novice Member
I'm having similar issues with my Samsung BD-P3600, passes all Network Connection Tests but the internet service test which it fails everytime no matter what i do! I'm not very tech savvy, I just have a Cat5 cable connecting it to my Virgin hub and thats it. Clock and date are all correct but wont pass that final test, I've even some how managed to download the software update off of the Samsung website and updated that on the dvd player but to no avail! #Annoying #Frustrating

Sully ri

Novice Member
I have a twist to the situation. I pass the MAC ADDRESS, the IP check and the Gateway ping, but not the Internet Service Test..........but I CONNECT to the internet?
It says below all that “your network cannot operate properly “.
Other than a few song skips on Pandora, all is good.
I called Samsung help desk, they blame the internet provider, no help there!

stinger2k2

Standard Member
I gave up in the end after trying every suggested solution and getting nowhere.

I shall buy a new player at some point to sort this out.......NOT SAMSUNG !!

Cheers
Stinger

Grizz42

Stinger, all of a sudden, after 10 years of connectivity, my Samsung bdp-1600 has the same issue. Internet service test fails. And this is with a physical network connection, not via WiFi.

Actually, I own 2 of these units, and both are doing the same thing. This has to be deliberate planned obsolescence on the part of Samsung. This is unbelievable to me.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would imagine they look at a specific web address to check connectivity and this has been discontinued by Samsung.

It's probably quite limited in terms of services it can connect to in any case and at 10 years, I doubt Samsung are still issuing updates either.

Grizz42

Well believe it or not the Netflix, Youtube, and Pandora links were still working a few months ago, even though their interfaces had changed dramatically over the years when using newer devices.

Forced obsolescence. It just doesn't seem right. But it HAS to be what is going on here. This is the only place on the web where I see that others are having the same problems. And both of my old machines are seeing the same behavior.

reggind

Novice Member
I did a quick bit of scratching and when you try the network test the internet service test looks up:
www.internic.net
www.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com (yes, twice)
www.icq.com
icq.com

And than fails.

Netflix looks up
moviecontrol.netflix.com
moviecontrol.netflix.com (yes, twice)

And than fails

Pandora look up:
www.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com
www.icq.com
icq.com
www.internic.net

And than fails

And YouTube looks up:

www.internic.net
www.icq.com
icq.com
www.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com

And than fails.

I do not have the pieces handy to sniff the traffic but the DNS lookups were pretty easy to dig up.

stinger2k2

Standard Member
I gave up in the end and bought a newer Samsung (yes I know, glutton for punishment!) BD player. Instantly working fine, so it definitely was not an issue with my network.

reggind

Novice Member
No doubt buying a player from this decade is the smartest move. I only got this one because it was free, and as I said, the network jack made it look interesting. I also discovered the trap door for the front panel USB port. My TV can do the USB thing on it's own, but for some reason that escapes me, Samsung put the USB jack on the back panel so it is not at all convenient to use, the one on the DVD player is well placed.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Trending threads

Top Bottom