Answered How do I cast Now TV to Sony via chromecast? I’m having problems

Pontecorvo

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Unable to cast Now TV to Sony via chromecast

Now TV subscriber in London, UK, having endless trouble viewing.

I subscribed to Now TV entertainment package (£9.99 p/m) and cannot solve viewing problems. There’s no way to tell whether I will be able to watch a show on the TV or not. I am just about to throw in the towel.

Here’s how it goes.

Turn on TV (Sony Bravia)

Make sure Chromecast is connected via HDMI and turned on, with white light showing.

I go to Google Home on my phone (Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact) and find the “family room” and order it to cast. I also tell the phone to use Chromecast.

Screen on my phone is now cast successfully to the TV.

I can now view BBC iPlayer shows, Channel Four on Demand, and anything on my phone.

I now launch Now TV on the phone. Now TV appears on the TV screen.

The “cast” symbol appears on the phone and I press it having started the show I want to watch.

The “cast” then stops and the message appears (on phone and TV screen).

“Something went wrong. Try signing out and in again.[words to that effect]

Error code 1.

Alternatively, I get “you have reached your streaming limit. Turn off your other devices and sign in again.”

I then sign out of Now TV on the phone and go to my laptop (MacBook Pro, which was off until now), load Now TV, sign in, and then “sign out of all devices” and I then sign out of Now TV on the laptop and turn it off. [I did this in response to a community post which said that Now often listed devices even though they had been turned off and weren’t in use].

Return to TV and attempt to get connected again. Same thing happens including the message about me using too many devices or exceeding streaming limit.

I read something on one of these forums suggested deleting the NowTV app on the phone. I did this and downloaded a new one on the phone. Did the same on the laptop. Still no luck.

I have managed to get connected from time to time and to watch shows. But I cannot predict when it will work and when it won’t. I have tried starting the different apps in different sequences, but nothing works.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Solution
Thank you all very much. I finally worked it out from the Now TV community. Basically, Now TV thinks Chromecast is another "device". If you want more than one device on your subscription you have to pay a bit more. I only have the basic Now TV subscription. So, it sees Chromecast and thinks I am trying to cheat them, so it stops me there. (The solution is simple, but trial and error never got me there).

Now TV now works for me fine so long as I do this, in strict sequence.
1. Turn on TV and Chromecast.
2. Don't start Google Home.
2. Turn on Now TV on your phone
3. Press the "cast" button on Now TV on the phone.
4. Select where you are casting to on Now TV's prompt on the phone, e/g "family room".
4. Start the show you want on Now...
I have tried this previously and was told that now tv stops casting somehow… so the only way I can do it is by using the now tv app on the tv or a now tv box

Upvote 0
Why just not use the NowTV app. on the Sony TV and avoid the faff, assuming that it’s available?

Upvote 0
Have you tried not casting your home screen first? When I cast videos from my phone I just leave the Chromecast on the home screen then select the cast icon on the website I'm using and it just works. It might be the home screen cast is blocking the now TV cast stream.

Upvote 0
Thank you all very much. I finally worked it out from the Now TV community. Basically, Now TV thinks Chromecast is another "device". If you want more than one device on your subscription you have to pay a bit more. I only have the basic Now TV subscription. So, it sees Chromecast and thinks I am trying to cheat them, so it stops me there. (The solution is simple, but trial and error never got me there).

Now TV now works for me fine so long as I do this, in strict sequence.
1. Turn on TV and Chromecast.
2. Don't start Google Home.
2. Turn on Now TV on your phone
3. Press the "cast" button on Now TV on the phone.
4. Select where you are casting to on Now TV's prompt on the phone, e/g "family room".
4. Start the show you want on Now TV on the phone.

Note: if you start the show before pressing "cast" it all stops.

There are obscure corners of the Now TV website that tell you about Chromecast being falsely recognised as a device, but damned if I could find them before Now TV community folk pointed them out. No warning from Chromecast either. I spent hours trying various ways to get it to work before resorting to you guys and the Now TV community. Thanks again.
[My Bravia is too old to have the Now TV app btw].

Now TV really need to work on their help menu and FAQs, sheesh. So clunky.

Upvote 1
Solution

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom