Question Unable to adjust for A/V sync issues

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mark359, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mark359

mark359
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please offer me any advice on some a/v sync issues I am having.

I have recently changed my old Onkyo amp (TX-NR414) for a newer version (TX-NR535) and ever since I have been having issues with the lip sync that’s driving me crazy.

I have tried adjusting this on the amp using Quick Setup > Audio > A/V Sync but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I have tried using a test video from youtube via my PS3 and this seems to confirm that changing this setting isn’t actually doing anything. To prove this I created a series of videos. After changing the settings for each video I powered the amp off then back on to ensure they were applied properly. I had the Amps lip sync setting set to off for the test (putting this on doesn’t seem to work anyway) and the Auto EQ settings off (although I have tested with on and it also makes no difference):

1. Video with the amp switched off and the TV sound on (HDMI through was on). The A/V sync looks pretty spot on to me 1 TV Speakers - vidme

2. Video with sound through amp but with no a/v sync delay. The delay seems to be out here (about + 6 on the video scale). 2 amp no adjustment - vidme

3. Video with sound through amp and -100 msec a/v sync delay (minimum amp will go to). The delay still seems to be out here (about + 6 on the video scale). 3 amp -100 msec delay - vidme

4. Video with sound through amp and +100 msec a/v sync delay. The delay still seems to be out here (about + 6 on the video scale). 4 amp +100 msec delay - vidme

5. Video with sound through amp and +400 msec a/v sync delay (maximum amp will go to). The delay still seems to be out here (about + 6 on the video scale). 5 amp with +400 msec delay - vidme

Can you please confirm that it isn’t actually making any difference and it’s not just my eyes/ears?

Also do you have any ideas as to what I can do about it? I have checked and I am running the latest firmware (1080-9110-0000)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    How is everything connected together? I assume if is HDMi from source to AVR and then HDMI from AVR to TV.
    I thought lipsync function only worked for optical/coaxial inputs to the amp since HDMI is I believe supposed to have auto lipsync on it.
    Have you tried turning off any of the video processing off from the TV (and AVR if it has it)? To see if this makes the problem better.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Once you separate Video (to be processed in your TV) and Audio (to be processed in your AVR) there is always the potential for video and audio to be out of Sync (usually the Audio is ahead of the Video).

Your AVR offers you a User Adjustable Digital Audio delay (I can't see it mentioned in the online User Manual only the Quick Start guide) for Sources where the audio is being delivered via HDMI, Optical or Coaxial.

I suspect too that it will only work for HDMI if the Source is set to Bitstream - your PS3 is likely defaulting to LPCM over HDMI.

Try adjusting the PS3 HDMI to Bitstream Output and then try using the A/V Sync adjustment on the AVR - I'd connect the PS3 via HDMI Only to the AVR to avoid confusion (if you happen to also have an Optical cable connected).

Joe

Setting your AVR to TV Speakers On will disable the AVR processing.

4. mark359

mark359
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the replies. It turns out there was a new firmware available for my reliever that wasn't available via wifi. I checked the website and update and reset receiver. All is now working as it should.

Just for completeness everything was connected via HDMI and PS3 audio was already tried as bitstream

Thanks again

5. trisk

trisk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to report that I also started experiencing this issue recently with my TX-NR535 which had been working fine for a year before. My audio was delayed behind the video (by at least 150ms) and adjusting the A/V Sync from the menu didn't change the delay at all.

My receiver was already updated to the latest firmware so I had to force a firmware reinstall from USB. Pressing On/Standby while holding the USB button starts the firmware upgrade process.

Reinstalling the same firmware update and unplugging the receiver fixed the problem and I am able to use A/V Sync again (the delay is also gone even with Sync set to 0ms and Lip Sync off).