1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Un-Stopping, Stopping E—Mail

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garrett, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I just recently installed a new hard drive and I have found that I have not got the same amount of SPAM e-mail as I use to, which is a good thing the only trouble is one re-hooking my old HD to get some info on it I looked at the e-mail and got a load in and some were from companies I wanted e-mail from.

Does anyone know why this has happened and where I can alter my settings.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Garrett, what email program do you use?

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Outlook Express, on both HD's

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    better just clarify excatly what it is you want here before we start....

so you want to recover the 'lost' EMail contents/settings from your old hard-drive, onto the newly built system..??

and were the 'new' wanted items that appeared, old items, or brand new unread stuff?

- whichever/whatever.... the first step is to do a search for .dbx files on the old hard drive... they'll be in your userprofile folder (c:\documents and settings\???\application data) unless you had moved the mailbox yourself to a custom location...

copy any and all .dbx files to a safe place on the new system, create a new folder on the C: drive to keep things simple..

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    fixed or foxed, Garrett ? :confused:

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Dude, the way I understood it, either filtering or spam control settings on the new machine were discarding wanted mail as well as unwanted stuff... I'm not familiar with OE so I don't know how to usefully tell anyone what settings to change! The only thing that puzzles me is if the mailbox he uses is POP3, then usually all the email is removed from the server, so why would the other HDD's copy download these 'missing' messages? It could just be a coincidence;unless of course it's an IMAP mailbox.

Garrett, did you install any anti-spam or other security software on your new drive that you didn't have on the old one?

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I know what you mean mate, I just couldn't see how any new filtering SW would be blacklisting everything by default... it usually works the other way round?

You're dead right about POP3 too (unless some settings have been tweaked).. I was assuming on that basis that it was actually old content, already downloaded to the old hard drive, which OE was somehow managing to import across all by itself...quite scary! :D

still worth grabbing all those .dbx files though Garrett.. OE stores everything as seperate .dbx (also .mbx ?) files.... your mail, your address book, your account settings, your black/white lists....:(

It's easy enough once you have them, to use the import wizard in OE to merge everything across into the new configuration..

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Dude you foxed me, the only difference is that I loaded the Windows update on the new HD.

When I went beck to the old HD I had shed load of e-mail from days previous some spam some from a games site I requested notification of feedback and one from a screen archives site.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    gotcha.. sounds like you def. are wanting to bring all your old stored mail over to the new drive then..

As RCT mentioned, OE downloads your email to the hard drive, and doesn't leave a copy up there on the server.... so when you setup the new drive, any items which had already been downloaded to the old drive, are still stuck on there....

you need to copy the .dbx and .mbx files from the old drive as I mentioned... you've got two ways of doing it:

1 temp install the old drive as a secondary hard drive in the 'new' system.. you should have a free IDE connector in there somewhere..
    (If your CD and Hard drive are using seperate cables, you can just straight-swap the CD drive for your OLD hard drive temporarily..)

2 put everything back just the way it was, and burn the .dbx, .mbx files to a CD instead?

which of those is gonna be easier for you?

10. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm not an expert with OE - but hasn't it got it's own spam list..? - on normal outlook that comes as a txt file that when you block an e-mail - it will apend the list...

see this for further details -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267305

tho, it doesn't state what the txt file is, but you need to locate that and copy it to the respective location on the new hdd...
    I think it's something like spam.txt - check it, and compare both files...

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    gonna have to shoot off garrett.... get these bits done first, and we'll sort it when I get back later if you're still stuck

first you need access to the old hard drive, then you do a normal find/search on that drive..

the best way to find the files, is to do searches for *.dbx and *.mbx
    - copy anything and everything it finds to a new folder somewhere, then copy the new folder either onto a CD, or onto the new hard drive if you have got both drives going in the PC

that is your old mail recovered safely, then we just need to import it into your new outlook configuration on the new drive..

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Eek :eek:

No I have the new drive up about 2 weeks. I have not tweaked any setting what so ever with the new drive.
    Going back to the old HD I found I had mail that had come in, in the time between using the new HD and going back to the old one.
    E.G. I have been using the new HD from the 3rd to the 17th and not received any mail from Screen Archive Entertainment yet on plugging in my old HD I get mail from them dated the 10th.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

13. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Garrett, I'm pretty sure I understand your problem, tell me if I haven't got it right:

You set up your new HD in exactly the same way as the old one except that you carried out windows update. You haven't installed any anti-spam, security, or firewall programs. However, when you hooked up your old HD again, Outlook Express downloaded new mail that should have been downloaded by your new setup. You are not concerned with the old email on the old HD, just that your new setup seems not to be downloading everything like your old one did.

If the above is right, then it sounds like a configuration issue. I'm sure it could be pinned down in minutes or months! Can I take this opportunity to suggest that you try out Mozilla Thunderbird a rather brilliant (and secure) email program with good built in anti-spam features. It's a breeze to set up and will import all your Outlook Express stuff for you. If for some reason you get stuck, post back. If you need to use Outlook Express for whatever reason, I'm sorry but I really don't know it well enough :)

edit: spelling :oops:

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Spot on rct with the problem :smashin:

15. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    good, I thought that's what you meant; so rather than messing around with Outlook Express, give Thunderbird a try :)

16. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good point, although Garrett says he didn't change any settings, surely the default spam list won't include company contacts?

17. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    that's kinda what led me down the wrong path... a very strange one this..

I thought any method of anti-spam would would white-list everything unless/until you told it otherwise... I presumed it was already delivered mail that had gone missing on that basis...

Apols for any confusion caused matey... I did me best an all that.. :rolleyes:

18. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How are you doing Garrett? All sorted? :)

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    No I'm wondering whats going to happen.

Do I delete Outlook Express then download Thunderbird, and can I use my floppy disc to copy in the address's?

20. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I'm no expert on Thunderbird, but I'm pretty sure if you install thunderbird first, as part of the installation process it asks if you want to import all your settings/mail etc from outlook...?

Somebody else will be able to answer that specific point for certain, but I'd say definitely DONT uninstall outlook first... get thunderbird on first, then bring all your mail/settings over from OE.. :smashin:

21. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As The Dude says... just download Thunderbird and install and it will walk you through everything :)

edit: I should say that I'm oversimplifying just a bit but I promise it is straightforward, the only settings you'll need to know are your mailservers, your address book etc can be imported without any hassle

A good tutorial: http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_thunderbird

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Got it loaded so I will see how it performs now.

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Is there a way I can go back to Outlook as I'm not as keen on Thunderbird as Outlook

24. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    yeah, it's not too tricky.. just need to think how to export/import the data stored in Thunderbird back across to Outlook...

Gimme a few mins to do some head scratching.. ;)

25. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    did you remove/Uninstall outlook Express in the end Garrett?

If it needs re-installing, goto control panel> add/remove programs > windows components >

You'll see outlook expres about two thirds down the list.. just select it then click next > finish

you should then be able to setup outlook from scratch as you normally would... in the meantime I'll go have a think about the import bit.

26. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    nads.. there's no export routine in Thunderbird, and OE doesn't read Thunderbird mailbox files... some outside help required..

IMAPsize is a good tool for doing this... you can use it for converting the mailboxes into a format that OE can read.

do a quick search for this on google, it's free and it works really well.

Basically, you use IMAPsize to convert your Thunderbird mail folders to eml format, then you can drag&drop the created files/folders into your outlook express folders

I'll try find some better instructions, and a link to the software.. :smashin:

27. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
  28. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208