un-PC films/TV shows - would you still laugh at them?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This site (GC section) seems to have been dogged by a lot of arguments/threads this year that had people arguing over religion/climate change etc, and I got to thinking about a few films/TV shows.

A couple of months ago Blazing Saddles was shown on Irish TV and I watched it as I hadn't seen it in many years. To be honest I didn't find it quite as funny as I did when I was in my teens, but it is still a funny film imho. But I don't think it would get made now.

Same goes for the Alf Garnett TV shows.

So would you still watch these and laugh, or do you consider them offensive?

Lets be honest, I can't ever see the BBC repeating either of these 2 shows, can you?

Blazing Saddles is a classic, no matter how many times i watch it i cant help but laugh.
Probably in todays climate it would not be PC to make one like it, but people should see it for what it is Comedy.

Love thy Neighbour.
[youtube]kE0t11V1SDk[/youtube]

Not one titter now.

i would have to say "The life of Brian" is my all time favorite film. so would i laugh ......yup :rotfl:

totally forgot about LoB - probably one of the funniest films of all time.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy":thumbsup:

Never ever considered Blazing Saddles or LOB offensive, or Alf Garnett (Johnny Speight always wrote the character as caricature of a bigot, although lots of thickies didn't understand that and worshipped the character for the wrong reasons); and still find them funny
- its all in the context

Love Thy Neighbour just wasn't funny, like most ITV sitcoms ;)

Alf Garnett (Johnny Speight always wrote the character as caricature of a bigot, although lots of thickies didn't understand that and worshipped the character for the wrong reasons); and still find them funny
- its all in the context

Funniest was how bigoted he was then he'd be taken for being jewish. :rotfl:

Same goes for the Alf Garnett TV shows.

So would you still watch these and laugh, or do you consider them offensive?

Lets be honest, I can't ever see the BBC repeating either of these 2 shows, can you?

An episode in black and white was shown recently.

Till Death Us Do Part (-Peace and Goodwill) - 22nd Dec 20.30 on BBC4. Don't say you missed it? :eek:

Blazing Saddles is an satirical attack on bigotry . Its still as relevant and funny today as its always been if anything in today's PC climate its got an even stronger message.

I don't know if i will still laugh at life of brian i will watch it on channel 4 tonight and tell you :D

Life of Brian is undoubtedly a classic and I must have seen it 50+ times (starting with a well worn VHS copy). It was banned in Ireland when I first saw it and I literally wept with laughter. I had only seen a few episodes of Monty Python prior to that (quite un-PC itslf in places) but it made me want to watch more.

20 years from now our children will be discussing the likes of "Family Guy" and "American Dad" and wondering how they ever got away with it "way back in those days".

GB

Most if not all of the Carry On films were sexist in some ways or another, and yet they can still raise a chuckle or two.

Yes I'd still laugh at them. You have to remember that programs like Till Death and Love Thy Neighbour, whilst having a bigotted, racist person as the main character, the joke was always on either Alf Garnett or Eddie Booth in the end. They never won and always ended up looking foolish, the problem was that quite a lot of the population just weren't bright enough to spot that :D Having said that, I don't think I'd find Love Thy Neighbour funny at all and probably wouldn't watch it. I do enjoy the Carry On Films though :)

Life of Brian, What a great film...:thumbsup: totally unpc (especially in my circles) but still great

Unpc in the religious circles

I'd much rather watch these old comedies which some people see as un-PC than something as unfunny as My Family, I've yet to meet anyone who's ever laughed once at that program ;)

With the obvious exception of Life of Brian, who has said these sitcoms are not PC

With the obvious exception of Life of Brian, who has said these sitcoms are not PC

Maybe the same people who edited words like 'paddy' and 'chinkies' out of only fools and horses.

I remember UK Gold ages ago having a disclaimer before Love Thy Neighbour stating the views of the character did not reflect the views of the station!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom