Un-partition harddrive

akhlaq768

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 1tb external harddrive, which i partitioned initially into 2 section with 500gb on each...

one partition had FAT32 file type and the other being NTFS.

I would like help to do 2 things.

1. remove the partition, so i have one hole drive of 1TB
2. when removing the patition. remove NTFS and keep FAT32

Just to let you know I have files on the FAT32 partition that I would like to still keep and not lose...

is this possible?

Operating system is MS Vista

That's strange.

I thought under MS Vista the maximum FAT32 volume is 32GB.

Max file size being 4GB under FAT32.

yes it is possible but i cannot extend the existing partition as its is greyed out... any help guys

Why do you want to stick with FAT32?

The handiest way to combine the 2 without losing data would be to convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS and then merge the 2 NTFS partitions.
If you really must stick with FAT32, then copy the data from the NTFS partition somewhere else and then delete the partition and extend the FAT32 one and copy the data back on again. Though as pointed out by Alan FAT32 does have a limit on the file size

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Last edited:
i dont want NTFS, as i need to connect hard drive to PS3

Why do you want to stick with FAT32?

The handiest way to combine the 2 without losing data would be to convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS and then merge the 2 NTFS partitions.
If you really must stick with FAT32, then copy the data from the NTFS partition somewhere else and then delete the partition and extend the FAT32 one and copy the data back on again. Though as pointed out by Alan FAT32 does have a limit on the file size

Best FREE Partition Manager for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 - EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware.

the extend option on the FAT32 drive is greyed, what now????? :eek:

Copy everything of it, delete the partition, create a new 1tb partition, format the drive and copy everything back on

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom