1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Un-finalised DVD+R help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scribble71, May 26, 2005.

1. scribble71

scribble71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought a Phillips DVD recorder a couple of months ago but ended up returning it as it was rubbish! However, I did record a number of films to DVD+R discs with it. I'm now the happy owner of a Pioneer DVD recorder - BUT - it only records discs with the DVD-R or -RW format. This is fine by me but my old Phillips machine was DVD + format. I now have about 20 films on unfinalised DVD + format which won't play on my new Pioneer machine.

My question is, how can I finalise these discs so that they will play on my Pioneer. Is there a program I can download to my computer? There must be a way!

All help hugely appreciated!

Marcus.

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    You should be able to finalise them on any suitable Philips machine.
    You may be able to explain your predicament the shop you bought it from (if local) and see if they will let you do this on site (it does not take long).
    If this is not an option try putting a help request on this forum for someone local to you to let you pop round and use their machine. Members are usually very helpful.

3. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There are a couple of options for the PC route.

You can either write a small text file to the disk with Nero, after which it will finalise the disk for you.

IIRC you can also use an option in DVDDecrypter which is called "close disk" or similar. I can't check because the option is apparently only available when an unfinalised ±R is in the drive.

I would try to do it on the PC rather than in another Philips recorder. I know of people who have tried to use another recorder to finalise a disk and it crashed out with a disk error, and the disk was useless after that. I've even known this to happen when disks with titles recorded when a unit was on a previous firmware were finalised after a firmware upgrade, giving the same crash and disk errors. Of course your mileage may vary, but not heard of anyone losing data finalising disks in a PC DVDRW drive.

--Loob.

4. scribble71

scribble71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.k. Thanks guys, I'll explore the PC route first and if all else fails it's back to the shop for me!