Umax/Yamada DVD-5320/5520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DragonQ, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone has or has had these players before? I want to find out if they can play DVD+RWs (the only format I use really). I've been to about 10 sites on the internet - about half say they do, while the other half either don't mention it or say they don't...

The manufacturer's website says that the 5320 supports DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW, but a special note says: "depending on media, production and software"....what does this mean? I think the brand I normally use is Verbatim, but I'm not sure. I always use MPEG2 and close the disc aswell.

For the 5520, it doesn't mention what formats it supports at all on the website...

Does anyone know if these play these formats at all? Any help appreciated.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Ive got the yamada 5320 and it plays all my dvd+r infact its not failed to play anything ive put in it (dvds that is).I got mine from special reserve.com for £39.95 delivered.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see any need for DivX....not really sure why it's better but there you go...and I don't think any other DVD Players for less than £40 support it anyway....

Gonzo, you mentioned DVD+R....how about DVD+RW? Can you recall using any, or could you do a quick check for me please? It'd be really helpful...Thanks.

Also, I was wondering if this player Supports RGB Output...if not, I don't see the point to be honest...

Thanks.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Just had a flick through the manual and it is s-video and composite only,Ive connected it to a 21'' flat screen through the scart and the picture is very good considering the price,dvd+rw, i havent got any of these just the +rs so sorry cant answer that one.I can tell you one thing these cheaper dvd players seem to be better at playing any formats and they dont seem to suffer layer change either,so why is it when you spend £500 on a dvd player you seem to get loads of hassle that the cheap players dont suffer.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I e-mailed them and they said that both play DVD+R and DVD+RW fine, and that the 5320 supported RGB Out through SCART, but the 5520 does not.

I think I'll buy a 5320! Thanks!

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Whoops :blush:
    Just had another look through the manual and it does say rgb where available funny theres no mention of it in the set up on the dvds video output though.
    For 40 quid iam sure you will be happy with it and like i said the picture is quite good. :thumbsup:
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actaully £35.17 :)

I imagine if you connect to a SCART Cable, it uses RGB Automatically (and switches to the correct channel automatically when you turn the DVD/VHS/Games Console on), as my other DVD Player does.

I have ordered it already - along with a 10-Pack of DVD+RWs in DVD-Cases for £8!! hehe....

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My Yamada 5520 plays RGB thru scart
    and play Verbatim dvd+rw, sony dvd+rw, ricoh dvd-rw
    as well as every other media I put in it, and MP3s form dvdr/rw as well