1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Um..... "LOL".

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MuFu, Dec 11, 2002.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/ax4b-533tube.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take tube preamplification and place it in one of the most electromagnetically active environments around. It'll do wonders for case temps and is only at a premium of £100 over the "non-tube" mobo!!! WOOOoOOooOO!!! :rolleyes:

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating of course, but I am going to be prejudgemental and say "WHAT A LOAD OF B0LL0CKS!". :D

MuFu.

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if it will take 10 minutes to warm up like the old TV's used to :D

3. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. iputerfixer

iputerfixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that computers came from tubes!
    Whats next?
    Will Intel announce a new processor?
    The all new improved 286?
    BWAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHHAAAA

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Titter ye not, my sitting room glows with the diffuse red glow of valves, as the vinyl spins majestically on the turntable! What comes around goes around. Those of you as old as me probably thought you'd never see another pair of flared trousers either!

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another vinyl acolyte signing in.... I think it's not the tubes themselves so much as whacking a tube into a motherboard that is being tittered at. Does seem rather bizarre, but they must have decided there's a market for it.....

[EDITED FOR GRAMMAR]

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bizarre even seems an understatement! There's a place for tubes, and it's not on your motherboard, they won't like it there. As was said, for the HCPC and audiophile market, you're shooting yourself in the foot by going up an order of magnitude in cooling requirements, which must at least double the noise. We all love the hoover in the background whilst we listen!

8. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooh trippy! that is cool.

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    What some audiophiles or "goldenears" like is the particular characteristics of the distortion produced by valve amplifiers .
    This is difficult to create by any other means except for using an expensive (relatively) DSP chip followed by a quality DAC IC.

10. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it more to do with the order of the distortion? - valves produce even order harmonic distortion, which are easier on the ear than the odd order from transistors. Also valves dont clip like transistors do, making them sound better as they go into clipping (they compress the sound rather than flatten the waveform)

btw - I don't own any valve amps (except my selmer treble'n'bass combo for my guitar)

Rob

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, the valve sound is mellow compared to a tranny amp, because of the clipping thing, and because they look cool and exotic on the rack..... no, really, they sound amazing, it's hi-fi, Jim, but not as we know it. But, you can turn off the central heating when you're listening, that's probably the biggest issue here. They propose shutting them in a beige box! Valves are wild creatures, they like to be free, and will likely fret themselves and any adjacent semiconductors into an early grave unless they get a good supply of fresh air. Supplied by a wind tunnel for a preference.

12. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention - I've got a "valve amp" (single tube) in an old dansette were using for 78's at the mo - thats inside a box with no ventilation, and yes it does heat up the panel above it........

Mind you, if your fanatical enough to buy this m'board cos of its valve, you'd probably be happy to cut some air holes into your chassis..

I'm warming to this idea...:D

Rob