1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

um HOW are widescreen broadcasts better?!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Piglet, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just bought a 28PK3. great tv, and i exchanged my 28PK25 for it as i couldnt stand the smearing and washed out look to the picture. but i was just wondering something. everyone says widescreen is better. but when a 16:9 proper WIDE broadcast comes on it ahs the same effect as zooming the picture. so as a result it makes it look stretched, less vivid, and u can see the horizontal picture lines so much more evidently. broadcasts which fill the screen natually like most channel 5 programs look so much better. i havent tried a dvd yet. im now scared i will be very dissapointed by the picture quality. do you know what i mean? and can you explain exactly why its better.

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Just a quick reply.
    If a program is broadcast with the black bars top/bottom, then zooming to get rid of the black bars(to make it fit the widescreen) will make the horizontal lines more obvious.Ie the black bars are using up some horizontal lines etc.
    However a anamorphic "true" widescreen broadcast uses the full screen (4.3 shape), making the picture tall and skinny. Your tv then squeezes the picture down to fit your widescreen shape tv. Because the full (576) amount of tv lines is used the horizontal lines are usually not as noticeable.
    DVDs are the same, some are recorded in anamophic some are not. The best are 16.9 anamophic films for you 16.9 tv.
    The worst are 2.35-1 ratio non-anamorphic films.
    Having said that, there are so many different things that make a good DVD pressing. Ie how well they have been encoded, how good the print/film they were recorded off.
    An example of this is "Titanic" 2.35-1 non-anamorphic, is pretty good quality compaired to some other 16.9 anamorphic films!.
    Hope this is some help!...

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best results are from digital anamorphic widescreen broadcast via OnDigital or SkyDigital. Analogue widescreen will behave as you suggest.

4. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks, so can i just make sure of something?.....

proper WIDE broadcasts like ER on channel 4 and other films on channel 4 which innitially have those black borders and then if i press panasonic auto it converts it to widescreen as its a WIDE signal. u say this WILL produce a zoomed less vivid image becasue it ISNT anamorphic?? are you sure that no analogue widescreen broadcasts are anamorphic? and dvd's that do use anamorphic widescreen, they wont look zoomed and less vivid? i hope they dont.

thanks.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'am not 100% sure but as far as I know, the only anamorphic broadcasts are from Ondigital/Skydigital(inc cable) etc. No analogue terestial broadcasts are anamorphic.
    I repeat, i'am not 100% sure!.

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep!

7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    You seem to be getting your widescreen modes confused.

What you describe as a proper widescreen broadcast isn't in fact a widescreen broadcast at. When a 1:85 program (widescreen) is shown eg. ER, all the broadcaster is showing is a 4:3 picture, filling in the top and bottom with blank lines. Hence when you display this on a widescreen TV it zooms in and you are left with only approximately 300 lines of image out of the 4:3 images 576 and therefore you can see between the lines and it looks rubbish.

As said in the last few posts a proper widescreen image (anamorphic i.e best quality) doesn't include the blank lines and is broadcastall 576 lines to display the non-blank part of the image. If you saw this broadcast on a 4:3 TV it would look like everyone is tall and skinny however the extra width of a widscreen makes the images look correctly proportioned.

You need to be a Satellite/ITVdigital/Ntl digital customer though as the terrestrial stations only broadcast 4:3 images as the vast majority of people still have 4:3 TVs

Hope this makes sense.

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there used to be a way to get a proper widescreen image on analoge . i was called pal+. ch4 used to show some films in the format .

the extra line information was kept in the black bars and you needed a special decoder. the main problem was that only ch4 took an interst in it and the decoders where expensive. with digital on the horizon it just disapeared and is now no more

as has been said the only place you can now find "proper" widescreen is on digital and dvd

go get your self a dvd player . you will never look back ;)

9. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot NJAY, that makes sense. cheers.