Question Ultrawide Monitor with specific features

NinjaMonkeyUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting an ultrawide monitor but I'm having trouble finding one that fits my specific requirements.

I currently have an LG 24" 3D Vision monitor (but I rarely use 3D as it is so demanding on newer games) and I'm looking to upgrade to:
  • 34 / 35" ultrawide
  • 2560 x 1080 resolution
  • At least 100Hz
  • G-SYNC
I want to go for 34 / 35" as these seem to be the equivalent height of a 27" 16:9 monitor and I want to go a little larger than 24".

I have decided to stick to 1080 resolution because I don't feel any need to go higher and I'd rather use a bit of AA than push higher resolution such as 3440 x 1440. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX970 to drive my current monitor and don't feel any need to go higher than 1920 x 1080 (other than to go ultrawide).

I also think 2560 x 1080 maintains compatibility with those games that don't support ultrawide resolutions; I can just run them at the industry standard 1920 x 1080 within the 2560 x 1080 frame (i.e. pillarboxing). This doesn't phase me in the slightest as I have a scope projection screen in my cinema room and run 16:9 content pillarboxed all the time.

G-SYNC, while not essential, would be nice to have, but given my current monitor is 120Hz (to accommodate active 3D glasses at 60 FPS) I need the new monitor to be at least 100Hz so I can maintain high refresh / frame rates.

The problem is, I am having trouble finding a model with those specs! I have seen a few at 2560 x 1080 but 60Hz, and others that run up to 200Hz but at 3440 x 1440, like the Acer Predator, but that monitor has an awful "gaming" design. I'd much prefer something from the likes of LG that has a nice thin bezel. There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground!

Can anyone recommend something along the lines of the above specs?

Oh, and I cannot stand curved screens! I also do some web / graphic design so I need straight lines!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom