ultraviolet even more prohibitive in the UK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Chowie24a, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Chowie24a

Chowie24a
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, new to the forum and can't find much info on UV in the UK and wanted to see if anyone had any further thoughts?

I have spent hours and hours trying to create a home entertainment setup that was functional and easily used by my folks - my dad loves collecting and has an extensive blu Ray collection. They travel quite a bit with my autistic brother that loves cartoons. UV seemed like a great setup for them. I had anticipated the arduous task of setting up multiple logins etc for technophobes and linking it all up - however getting it all onto a telly in the UK is an absolute nightmare. They have a non smart pioneer plasma which is superb, but finding a streaming service for them is ridiculously tough.

Firstly I setup blink box on their playstation 3 (solely used for blu Ray) after seeing a blink box post from the 1st of April explaining the setup. I went through the install and updates, only to find that they stopped supporting PS3 on the 15/4

Nest was an Amazon firestick. I'd had this in mind as a long term travel solution for them given its portability for holidaying, flixster app and the bonus of kodi being able to stream the f1 when they are in Thailand. Given they have sky already and were offered a paltry £6 off their subscription after 10 years of service, it seemed more than fair to not miss the f1. Anyway the main reason was for UV and to my surprise this is no longer supported as of 15/4.

So with blinkbox dropping device support as well as Amazon, does this signal the end of UV in the UK? Would an Apple TV and an iTunes movie collection be a better solution, or would a roku box be good? Seems to me that the digital struggle will continue in the UK and as long as Amazon, Apple and the film studios squabble, the consumer will lose out.

I noticed that Disney now have their own subscription streaming service in the UK now which is another tick for Apple as iTunes will be the only way of having it in your collection. I guess the other frustration is how well a client like Vudu performs in the US with no sign of an equivalent being released in the UK. It really sucks to try and have a legal digital locker over here.

2. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +656
    I think when things get confusing which is heading in that direction in the UK then no one wins. We will have that many subscription services that unless you subscribe to several you aren't going to get enough content. Saying that for UV I've never as yet created an account and must have hundreds of blu Rays with codes in them. An on line subscription service it would never work for me my internet just isn't fast enough. I've never though seen one on a streaming box

3. dmk1198

dmk1198

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    I just starting to use my uv codes but no idea how to use them as it rarely gives you an iTunes option, I have Apple TV , how do I access my uv collection on iTunes? Thnx

4. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,775
    iTunes & UV are 2 completely different systems & NOT interchangeable.

5. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,650
    I love UV copies! I mean I love selling them to offset the cost of the blu-rays a bit.

6. pelago

pelago

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just started looking into UV in the UK, trying to play them on my Roku. So far I've tried the Roku Flixster app, but couldn't get it to activate my Roku for some reason. I've got them working on the Sainsbury's Entertainment Roku app OK. Apparently also the Roku CinemaNow app will also work, but I haven't yet tried that one.

The one film I've tried on the Sainsbury's Entertainment Roku app (The Lego Movie) didn't look very HD or very high bitrate, despite the app troubleshooting steps saying that my Internet was fast enough for HD.

7. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    I'm not sure we can talk about this on here...

... but where can they be sold? (Hypothetically speaking, of course.) What sort of prices do they fetch?

8. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,650
    Place called Fleabay? [emoji6] Careful how you list though. Dont put film titles in the main headline description. Just search for uv code and copy other listings.

9. thewoe2

thewoe2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If you link your Blink box (tesco) account to flixster you can stream your uv movies through that on ps3 and ps4 if i remember correctly.

10. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,775
    All changed :p;)
    Blinkbox is now Talktalk, & Playstation support has been dropped. Only Xbox support now on console side.
    Changes to our supported devices

11. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,783
    +1

I rarely add them to my own UV account, I had 90+ unused codes in my BD collection and I've sold them on ebay for an average of a couple of quid each, that's £180 which went towards my UHD player fund. :D

12. cedge

cedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I can see my Ultraviolet films on my Xbox 360 but they no longer play for me :( , is there any other apps on the 360 or the ps4 that allow UV films to play?

13. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,775
    Wasn't/isn't there a Sainbury's Entertainment app on Xbox? That should work if it's still supported.

14. cedge

cedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks, I'll give it a go.

15. cedge

cedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    That did the trick, shame about 4 films are missing; probably due to licensing issues.

16. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +656
    which is why I like physical disks - I've paid for it, it's mine and no one or no movie company can take it away!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Mshulla

Mshulla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    When you use the Sainsburys app, only those movies Sainsburys has license for will appear. Your movies are probably still there just not visible using that app. Just go to the UV website and check.

18. Chowie24a

Chowie24a
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the problem, you have to download multiple clients due to licensing issues, the UX of said clients isn't very good and getting it onto a TV is still a nightmare. I find that some are in HD and some are in SD dependent on the client as well.

This has been shelved for now - so much promise but poor integration and development leads to a half finished product and the problem is there is very little outlook on it improving. I don't understand as I would pay money for a good UX and media player - something like Itunes would be ideal.

I think I will be better off going the itunes apple tv method.

19. cmdrmarc

cmdrmarc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    UV is a "free" addon for a physical purchase. It was never going to compete with iTunes given they charge nearly the same as a physical disk.

Getting UV on a tv is pretty simple if you have a Chromecast - all of my titles show up and work in Flixster Video which casts just fine to the CC.