Ultrasonic vinyl cleaners

I actually already have a multi voltage power adapter not in use at the mo that goes to 3V…. I guess I’d rather have the option to slow further if possible, and don’t really want to have to change out the rotation device or it’s motor to do so

i might consider buying the rotation device separately to the bath actually taking note of voltage and rated RPM of the motor, so I then know what lowering voltage will get the RPM down to

…either that or there is still the velvet vortex option which I gather is 0.5RPM out of the box. The guy who does that seems to sell the complete kit, but also the rotation device as a standalone thing

by the way I did find a 1.5v supply but as one of those wall plugs intendEd to replace 1x AA battery packs, it was on eBay though. That did make me wonder if a rechargeable battery pack option might not also work, if there is such a thing……

The Velvet Vortex is still very cheap compared with many alternatives.

I guess my decisions were informed by not knowing how much improvement I'll see with my record collection.

I can't see damage on some records I'd like to improve, but it's difficult to tell what's causing pops here and there. It could be lodged dirt. It could be damage that isn't visible to the naked eye, even with magnification.

Some of these records are very rare. Several would cost more to replace than I've paid for the Vevor and accessories. If US cleaning isn't going to get me there, I don't want to have spent hundreds only to feel disappointed.

What I've opted for is less than half the price of the Velvet Vortex (and I'm not sure paying double would be worthwhile for a slower rotation speed). I guess the proof will be in the cleaning.

That's my rationale, in relation to my collection and what I'm hoping to achieve. Your aims and perspective may be understandably different.

I understand completely, I’m kind of in a similar boat but haven‘t pulled the trigger yet.

Both of those options we’ve been talking about are a lot less than things such as isonics or a Degritter. The baths themselves seem very similar, it’s the rotation device that varies and these can be had separately from different places. So I’m just weighing up whether to do that or get everything together from one seller. If there is flexibility on the RPM I think that helps in determining the best cleaning routine that suits the individual and the records to clean.

cheers!

I understand completely, I’m kind of in a similar boat but haven‘t pulled the trigger yet.

Both of those options we’ve been talking about are a lot less than things such as isonics or a Degritter. The baths themselves seem very similar, it’s the rotation device that varies and these can be had separately from different places. So I’m just weighing up whether to do that or get everything together from one seller. If there is flexibility on the RPM I think that helps in determining the best cleaning routine that suits the individual and the records to clean.

cheers!

Thanks. I considered buying a separate tank and rotation device.

I can't find a rotation device that a) I can be sure will reliably fit; and b) will allow me to raise or tilt the mechanism so records can drip dry before they're removed from the spindle.

In the end, I think it's easier to make my peace with the relatively small amount I've spent here if the end results aren't what I'd hoped for.

I've set reasonable expectations. If this knocks pops out of some records and makes others sound cleaner in general, that'll do me. I'm not expecting the machine to perform miracles. I suspect I'll be happier with the outcome on some records than with others. If some are no better after US cleaning, I don't think anything else can be done. At least that way I'll know. :)

I see the Vevor has sold out now. None available on the Vevor website and none left on Amazon (which was more expensive).

They still have 6 litre tanks for sale, so must have run out of rotation devices.

I don’t know why they don’t package it with the digital US cleaner tbh, it would still be under £200

I don’t know why they don’t package it with the digital US cleaner tbh, it would still be under £200

They used to, at least in some countries. With a more robust rotation device that enabled lifting of records to drip dry.

Apologies for all the questions, what’s the load rating in the original power supply, so we can check with replacement please? 1A, 2A? Trying to see if 8 can find one that also goes to 1 or 1.5 V
Sorry for late reply, just returned from a holiday

The original power supply was 12v at 2 amps, with a 2.5mm tip

The power supply I linked to in Amazon goes all the way to 1.29 volt , I put mine in a sealed box that was used in the fridge , no soldering is needed as the wires are connected but screw clamps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 30
You can get the same US cleaner on its own the same as I use from Vevor UK

Then just buy the rotating box from AliExpress with free delivery

Thanks, the rotating part you linked on alliexpress , is that the one you swapped the motor out on for a 2RPM, then applied the variable voltage control?

i notice the rotation device and digital GT Sonics bath is on the same site at £273

never used alliexpress before. What is it like? I assume shipping from Czech republic , (GT Sonics store is China), so if you have trouble with anything that could present a challenge?

…then I guess there’s also customs,,,,,

Last edited:
Thanks, the rotating part you linked on alliexpress , is that the one you swapped the motor out on for a 2RPM, then applied the variable voltage control?

i notice the rotation device and digital GT Sonics bath is on the same site at £273

never used alliexpress before. What is it like? I assume shipping from Czech republic , (GT Sonics store is China), so if you have trouble with anything that could present a challenge?

…then I guess there’s also customs,,,,,
There's customs and VAT on top.

I bought the adjustable rotation device for the same seller on aliexpress with motor for it of no problems at all and delivery is quicker than China, that's the one a swapped the motor on,

The one I have linked to is the fixed body one. You can actually buy a 0.6rmp of amazon and ebay for very little

There's customs and VAT on top.
There was no customs or vat or any other charges on the rotation device I bought from Aliexpress, there may be on the full kit as its more expensive

Sorry for late reply, just returned from a holiday

The original power supply was 12v at 2 amps, with a 2.5mm tip

The power supply I linked to in Amazon goes all the way to 1.29 volt , I put mine in a sealed box that was used in the fridge , no soldering is needed as the wires are connected but screw clamps

I wish I'd better understood what you did.

It's actually marginally cheaper to buy the tank on its own and the rotation device from AliExpress, which looks more robust and allows you to lift records to drip dry at the end of a cleaning cycle.

The AliExpress device looks like it fits the tank more firmly. You can clamp it into place, whereas I think the device that comes with the Vevor only slots in, with some possibility of lateral movement while in operation. There isn't much room for movement between the record edge and side of the tank.

In fact, I now wish I'd bought a Vevor 6l digital tank and the AliExpress device seperately. This would still have come in at comfortably under £200.

I have got the project vcs, as it is a cheaper alternative to a US. I really do like the Project VCS as it really has cleaned my old vinyl from the 80's and I use it prior to playing new records for the first time. I did think about a US, but could not justify the price based on what I have seen in Hi Fi shops.
May be one day I will get a US to compliment my Project vac, but not any time soon. The one thing is I have a process for cleaning records which I wanted to share if any one was thinking about the project vacs. If not relevant then please skip and sorry for wasting your time in reading my comments.
For the older records which are dirty I also use "Into The Groove Record Cleaner" which I buy off ebay, I find that this really shifts the dirt unlike the Project solution that you get with the VAC, that's my first rinse process, 2nd rinse I user the Project solution that comes with the VAC and then have a final rinse with distilled water to remove any solutions. Once dry with the VAC I place the records on a drying rack for a few mins before placing them into new anti static sleeves, so that I am not placing my cleaned records back into their dirty or paper sleeves.

I have got the project vcs, as it is a cheaper alternative to a US. I really do like the Project VCS as it really has cleaned my old vinyl from the 80's and I use it prior to playing new records for the first time. I did think about a US, but could not justify the price based on what I have seen in Hi Fi shops.
May be one day I will get a US to compliment my Project vac, but not any time soon. The one thing is I have a process for cleaning records which I wanted to share if any one was thinking about the project vacs. If not relevant then please skip and sorry for wasting your time in reading my comments.
For the older records which are dirty I also use "Into The Groove Record Cleaner" which I buy off ebay, I find that this really shifts the dirt unlike the Project solution that you get with the VAC, that's my first rinse process, 2nd rinse I user the Project solution that comes with the VAC and then have a final rinse with distilled water to remove any solutions. Once dry with the VAC I place the records on a drying rack for a few mins before placing them into new anti static sleeves, so that I am not placing my cleaned records back into their dirty or paper sleeves.
I don’t think US cleaners are more expensive than a project VC-s/e or similar to be honest. Certainly not the options under discussion here. and there are much more expensive manual vacuum based solutions out there too tbf

if you are looking at hifi dealers they are not selling these, only expensive options such as isonics and Degritter afaik. those do have their place and function but it isn’t necessary to spend so much for a US cleaning option

My Vevor is being delivered tomorrow. This is probaby a naive question, but since I haven't used one before...

Does anyone filter the solution while it's in the tank (say, between unloading one set of records and loading another), or do you wait to drain the tank after several cleaning cycles, only running the solution through a filter then, to be reused later?

If anyone's filtering the solution while it's in the tank, to remove particles and debris, what are they using to do this?

I’m unsure about that too. I’ve seen various folk suggesting filtering before taking the record out, even like a small aquarium fish net to skim over the surface of the liquid on the basis that not all removed junk will necessarily float to the bottom, so if it doesn’t that could get attracted back to the record as you lift it out the bath. If you’ve loaded up with 5 or 6 record though I guess there won’t be much room for that

My Vevor is being delivered tomorrow. This is probaby a naive question, but since I haven't used one before...

Does anyone filter the solution while it's in the tank (say, between unloading one set of records and loading another), or do you wait to drain the tank after several cleaning cycles, only running the solution through a filter then, to be reused later?

If anyone's filtering the solution while it's in the tank, to remove particles and debris, what are they using to do this?
Nah, I don’t worry about all that. I just clean however many records I need to and filter the solution as I drain it from the tank.

I’m unsure about that too. I’ve seen various folk suggesting filtering before taking the record out, even like a small aquarium fish net to skim over the surface of the liquid on the basis that not all removed junk will necessarily float to the bottom, so if it doesn’t that could get attracted back to the record as you lift it out the bath. If you’ve loaded up with 5 or 6 record though I guess there won’t be much room for that
I can’t imagine how they could even do that, surely there’s no room in the tank even with only one record in there? And even if one could fit the net down either side of the record, a) an aquarium net isn’t going to be anything like fine enough to remove the small particulates (is it?) and b) no one will want to want to scrape it down the side of their record so if there is any crud there they won’t be getting it anyway

I swear some people in this game just find a way to take everything to the OCD extreme. Same people probably fitting special fuses in their mains plugs.

Personally I actually enjoy the fact that US cleaning isn’t as laborious as other methods (as well as being better!)

Stage 1: Fill the tank, fit the records on the spindle, put them in, set it going at desired temperature and duration (<5mins).

Go off and do something else

Stage 2 (whenever convenient): Take records out, remove from spindle and leave in a rack to air dry, drain liquid through a filter back in to its bottle (~5mins).

Easy. Not going find ways to make it harder :D

Mix up your water with the wetting agent and add to the tank , run the ultrasonics for 15 minutes to degass the solution then clean your lps for the time you require , I only filter the water after I have cleaned a couple of batches of records , I use 100 micron paint filters of eBay placed in a funnel and back into an empty 5ltr container

coincidentally, I stumbled across this live stream yesterday evening….

hmmmm?… :rolleyes:

I found this today.
I found it most interesting. The first 4 minutes are a bit of a bind but get beyond that and the information, mixed in with the sales pitch starts to flow. I said I found it interesting, which I did, but it's left me feeling that my cleaning efforts are totally inadequate.

I can’t imagine how they could even do that, surely there’s no room in the tank even with only one record in there? And even if one could fit the net down either side of the record, a) an aquarium net isn’t going to be anything like fine enough to remove the small particulates (is it?) and b) no one will want to want to scrape it down the side of their record so if there is any crud there they won’t be getting it anyway

I swear some people in this game just find a way to take everything to the OCD extreme. Same people probably fitting special fuses in their mains plugs.

Personally I actually enjoy the fact that US cleaning isn’t as laborious as other methods (as well as being better!)

Stage 1: Fill the tank, fit the records on the spindle, put them in, set it going at desired temperature and duration (<5mins).

Go off and do something else

Stage 2 (whenever convenient): Take records out, remove from spindle and leave in a rack to air dry, drain liquid through a filter back in to its bottle (~5mins).

Easy. Not going find ways to make it harder :D
Do you not use your old Project for drying the records Dan?

Do you not use your old Project for drying the records Dan?
I did to start with and then I realised that unless I was in a position to listen to the freshly cleaned record immediately (rare), it was far easier just to put it in a rack to air dry it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom