Ultra Simple MP3 Playback

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by RBZ5416, Aug 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,412
    My Mum suffered a brain injury in a traffic accident a while back & so has limited cognitive & motor skills. I'd like to set up a method of MP3 playback that she can manage herself. It doesn't really matter how this is achieved with the exception of a DLNA server, as that's just more complication & consuming very limited space.

The main requirement is for a simple, large, easily understood interface. Something like Apple's Coverflow would be ideal where she can just browse cover art, but for some reason they killed that. Ideally the device app could be set to default to this browse mode. Dozens of micro icons & a million settings are definitely out. Everything I've looked at so far is either too basic (folder/filename) or much too complex (I use PowerAmp).

She already has an iPad Mini but of course the limited memory & lack of SD support makes it pretty much useless as a source. But it could be used as a controller with an appropriate app.

So options seem to be:
    • Dedicated MP3 player with large screen & Bluetooth.
    • Android app with content stored on device.
    • iOS app controlling an external player.
    • All-in-one device with USB playback with either a large inbuilt screen or a nice simple app.
    • Something else I haven't thought of!
    Anyone done something similar?

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I think that the easiest configuration would be an Android tablet with a big memory chip.

I did attempt to get my then aged mother to use a touch screen kindle, because the text in books was to small. But it was unsuccessful. .. Beyond a certain stage people are just unteachable. So having done all the work ,it may not just work... As a test would you not try putting as much music as the iPad can handle, and see can she handle it

The Lenovo plus 3 has a very good sound system and with decent headphones really good. . A 128Gb memory card will give weeks of music. .. the Radsone music app gives a nice big cover artworks

3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,412
    An app is certainly an option IF I can find something that replicates Coverflow. I couldn't last time I looked.

Doing anything with the iPad as the source is almost certainly out as iOS is such a hateful thing unless you buy into the whole Apple ethos & surrender control of everything to them. The ultimate "Computer says no" devices!

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,412
  5. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I suggested the Android, because of the option of using a massive memory card, and because I have experience qpwith the Lenovo..using it as I write this, but Apples are very easy to use,and since you have one, what's the problem. . There are a large number of iOS music players. If setting up the apple is difficult, well it is you, a reasonably sound person ,with their faculties intact who is doing it and not your mother. Anyway I am sure there is a perfectly acceptable ios music player.
    The major change I noted moving from apple to Android was that there was one simple way to do anything with the Apple, and a lot of different ways with android. Yes it's control, but it still works. . I cannot recommend any apple app. As I rarely use their infrastructure anymore.