• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Ultra short throw projector upgrade

xiaomei

Hi,

I am looking to replace my Nec NP-U310W for another ultra short throw projector. Unfortunately due to space, cables and placement of the projector I can not have traditional one.
Is getting Xiaomi Laser projector my only option in this price range? I have looked also at BenQ W1600UST, currently at reasonable price at Amazon, but I'm not 100% convinced it will be noticable upgrade.

Thanks for any advice

angelicajames

Novice Member
What's your price range? Have you checked BenQ HT2150ST (Native Resolution 1080p) I think Picking up the BenQ HT2150ST will not be a mistake?

xiaomei

Got my off ebay, seller based in Hong Kong, but delivered by dpd within a week with no import fees. Paypal gives you some extra protection as well.

danwel

Got my off ebay, seller based in Hong Kong, but delivered by dpd within a week with no import fees. Paypal gives you some extra protection as well.

Thanks, I’ve been in touch with Wendy at XY screens who has offered to source me in and sort the screen out.
She’s on about splitting the payments into 4 payments, 2 of which being 250 to help with possible charges but just not sure lol. It will all be done via PayPal though

angrybird

looks good, but from the discussion, this looks like the 1080p model.

it says 4k on the box, but its just means that it will Accept 4k Signal

angrybird

Because it is 1080p. You have to ask the question if it’s worth to spend twice as much for 4k one.

my bad, I have another thread on this exact subject, just got things confused.
will add to my opening post differences between 1080 and 4k in projector. in my opening post.

xiaomei

If something fails in the projector you’re down £1k instead of £2k, when getting 1080p. Worth keeping that in mind.

angelicajames

Novice Member
Hi Angrybird,

Need a recommendation for a small room:
I have a very small apartment but I’d like to turn my living room into a home theater. The room itself is not bright, I guess it won’t be a problem since I prefer to watch movies in the evening. No screen at the moment so I’m planning to use it on a light grey wall first. Distance is about 6-7 feet.
My budget is around 600-700$ if it’s possible.
I’ve found several options at the moment and currently, I’m asking for advice. I’m not a professional, so any advice would be helpful.
1/ Benq HT1070A
2/ BenQ MW632ST
3/ Optoma GT1080Darbee - found a used one to fit on a budget.

Also, should I get a separate sound system or in-built speakers would be fine?

Thanks in advance!

angrybird

I heard good things about Optoma GT1080, and Darbee makes the image even better (to many people inc myself)

try the built in speakers first and see how you like them, I do not know much about projector audio, although my xiaomi have harman kardon which is fairly good, but then its a different projector all together.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom