Question Ultra HD TV or Full HD TV From Samsung. Which To Buy

Stable Girl

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’d appreciate a few of your thoughts on the issue of ‘which tv to buy.’ At the end of the day I do appreciate that it is all down to personal preference but I’d like to hear views.

The television I’m after is a 40 inch, anything bigger would not suit. My retailer of choice is John Lewis: I have some credit lying with him and the 5 year guarantee is certainly attractive. Where I live satellite is difficult so I’m ruling it out.

With this in mind my research points me towards two television sets: Samsung UE40H6400 costing £379 and the Samsung UE40JU6400 costing £449 – a difference of £70. As fate would have it both of these sets are sold out at present. While I had hoped to buy during the sale I am prepared to wait as I have a tidy sum of credit and gift vouchers (Christmas presents) with them.

From what I can see the difference between the two models is that the UE40H6400 is full HD and has 3D it’s a 2014 model. While the UE40JU6400 is a 4K set and a 2015 model

Up until today I was going to buy the 4K model but checked out Netflix recommendation on what speed is need for 4K. Their recommondation is 25 megabits per second, I’m with BT and a test just now showed a connection speed of 6.86 Mb and a download speed of 5.93 Mb. Am I correct in assuming that’s about a fifth of what Netflix recommends. Bits and Bytes still confuse me :)

So here’s my thinking: the 4K model though £70 more expensive is more up to date. I won’t be able to receive 4K downloads from Netflix and there is little if any 4K available over the air. On the other hand 3D is, I believe, a dead technology as far as domestic TV is concerned so why pay for a redundant technology. I’m not a gamer or into blueray movies, I get my fix via Netflix. My Geeky nephew has me on his Ultra HD package so I don’t have to worry about cost!

Given the above what would you do? I’m inclined towards the Ultra HD model even though it's £70 more expensive

From what I've read and understood, the JU6400 is a 60Hz panel, whereas the H6400 is a 120Hz panel, which gives better motion for fast moving images.

You are correct in your understanding that your internet speed is not fast enough to stream 4K content, so your only option would be via 4K Blu-rays once they start being released.

With that taken into account, you may be better looking at the H6400, or the J6200(flat)/6300(curved) which are the 2015 equivilent without 3D but with the more modern Tizen menu system.

From what I can see the difference between the two models is that the UE40H6400 is full HD and has 3D it’s a 2014 model. While the UE40JU6400 is a 4K set and a 2015 model

Given the fact that your braodband is far too slow for 4K, the H6400 is an excellent choice. Dont worry about it being a 2014 model - that just means the software has been well tested, and there is a great deal of feedback about it. And having 3D is a good thing - your really paying for the better panel (in fact pretty much the best your going to get in Full HD), the 3D is thrown in for nothing. The PQI/hz rating of any TV is something of a mystery these days, but the J6300 (the succesor to the H6400, and almost certainly a better panel than the 6200) is rated at 800 PQI, whereas the JU6400 is rated at 900. At best, the refresh rate is a bit better (although PQI seems to lump lots of things together, so who knows?), but remember that its an entry 4K set, so that refresh rate is upscaling and moving stuff at the same time. The H6400 does cope better with upscaling from SD, and with HD TV. Thr JU6400 is going to struggle with SD, and is almost as good as the H6400 on HD.

In fact the only problem with the H6400 is getting them at the moment. This time of year see's a huge spike in demand, and the Samsung is a very popular model and a very good price, which is why its out of stock at JL.com at the moment (its also gone back up to £399, which is not unexpected). However, if your patient, that would be the best choice. The 6300 would be another very good choice as well.

Adaddon879, thank you for your response, you have given me something to think about.

This may sound like a silly question but supposing I was to opt for a UHD TV (I accept the only way I'd get UHD would be via a blue ray and the appropriate DVD.) anyway would it do anything for a HD picture. I mean would it make it a little clearer, or alternatively the fact that it was capable of showing at a higher definition would it in anyway degrade a HD picture. Silly I know :blush:

Re the 60 - 120Hz does that equate to twice as good motion for fast moving images, think car case!

Again to anyone who can educate me!

This may sound like a silly question but supposing I was to opt for a UHD TV (I accept the only way I'd get UHD would be via a blue ray and the appropriate DVD.) anyway would it do anything for a HD picture. I mean would it make it a little clearer, or alternatively the fact that it was capable of showing at a higher definition would it in anyway degrade a HD picture.

A decent UHD/4K set (I know they actually mean slightly different things, but since manufacturers use them interchangably, I'll not worry too much) should upscale a normal 720p (HD) picture OK - in fact my test if a 4K set is good enough is comparing it with a decent mid range set (like the H6400) and see if its close to the quality of the Full HD set showing something like BBC1 HD. If its close enough not to really notice, thats fine. The Sony X8 tends to pass this test well.

However, a 4K is going to struggle with SD - although something like the OLED will make a decent fist of it if your standing the right distance away. But an entry level set is both upscaling and moving that image, and its refresh rate (the whole Hz thing, which is a nightmare, but basically the bigger the number, the smoother the car chase) is not going to cope as well as something from the very top end. Frankly, you get what you pay for, and your paying for the best blacks and best movement you can - the H6400 is now pretty much the best you can get in Full HD. If your paying about the same amount in 4K, then something has to give, and thats normally the quality of the panel in terms of refresh rate, etc.

If you can't really stream 4K anyway, don't worry about it, and get the best picture in HD for less money.

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I think the H6400 has gained ground and with the winning post in sight is beginning to pull ahead

Should the H6400 be first past the post I might even put the money I've saved towards a sound bar, or a blue ray player and that might encourage me to buy the odd 3D movie :)

I have a Humax HDR-Fox-T2 which I use for recording.

Now all I have to do is wait untill it comes back into JL and hope it makes its appearance before his sale ends

Might be worth seeing if you have a local Richer Sounds that have it in stock, as it may never return to stock for John Lewis.
SAMSUNG UE40H6400 40 inch 3D Smart LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD

It seems the 40" version is in low supply, as even the official Samsung website are out of stock.

If not, Currys have it in stock, but you may want to see if they can do anything on Warranty, as obviously you loose this, and don't get the same level of service as with RS or JL.
SAMSUNG UE40H6400 Smart 3D 40" LED TV

No Richer Sounds or JL where I live. I want to deal with JL as I have at least half the price of a telly in vouchers and credit with JL

Do Richer Sound have a big high street presence? If the TV does come back into JL it might be worth seeing if I can get a price match

The J6200 should be similar with the H6400 in terms of picture quality. It doesn't have 3d, but the panel is still 120hz.

I can't find UK sources for the J6200 - they all seem to be US. Both the J6200 and 6300 are quoted as 120hz (which would apply to the US models), but Samsung UK doesn't list the J6200 at all, but does have the H6200, which they class as a 200hz screen, and the 6400 as 400hz. Refresh rates are such a delight, and PQI just makes it worse!

Richer does have stores, and are highly thought of, but if you've JL vouchers, just click on the 'email' link, and that will contact you when they come back into stock in the main warehouse. Remember that the last week was pretty much a tidalwave for selling TV's, and all the retailers are going be restocking and filling backorders. Once the dust has settled, then you can see if its being deleted, but I suspect that its got a little longer to run.

Since you'd ideally want to upgrade you Netflix, streaming subscriptions aswell as your download bandwidth; id go with the H400, it is the better TV in every way apart from the 4k resolution, which for your needs is redundant also makes little difference with a TV of this size. I was looking into TV myself and the 48 has been £399 various times/ retailers, have you checked the prices of the 48 if its £20 more + in stock its also worth it. There's also similar H62* models with have same panels just not the fancy remote that are worth checking out if yours Is OOS and discontinued from retail lineup (doesn't mean its bad)

Just to let you know. Acting on what I've read above I have bought the Samsung UE40H6400 from johnlewis.com at a price of £399. An increase from their sale price of £20

Currys are selling the same set for £379 so I've asked JL for a price match.

I've read on other Forums that JL's price match is difficult to get and that they often refuse the price match. Any advice as to what I should do if this happens. I've never priced matched with JL before

As mentioned above Currys is coming in at £379 anyone know of the set been sold cheaper elsewhere somewhere where JL price match?

Price matching from Curry's you shouldn't have any problems. its usually the smaller retailers with differing returns, warranty and delivery policies that cause JL to deny a price match request.

You paid £399 instead of the £379 price. If JL won't price match Currys you might care to draw this to their attention.

What we cover - Advertising Standards Authority as it is may be against ASA regulations as they have apparently upped the price of the product before the due date 11/01/2016

Anyone on the Forum advise if this is grounds for a complaint.

Kevin

Hi. Sorry for the thread hijack.

But we are looking to return our recently bought Panasonic. Probably going for the 40H6200. Anyone tell me why it's worth hunting down 40H6400 instead (other than the fancy remote we don't need). Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom