ScottW75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I thought it was time to start a thread for those of us buying into Ultra HD 4k blu-ray as we are about 2 weeks (hopefully) from the titles becoming available. I hope it's not going to turn into a debate vs streaming as both have they merits or people complaining about the cost of the discs / players.

I want Chappie (i liked the movie and for the test patterns), Kingsman and The martian. I'm getting the panasonic so it comes with mad max and San Andreas. I wanted to pick up the lego movie but the only review i can find states its hardly different to the original blu-ray release. I find this hard to believe as the demo clip from panasonic on my DX902 looks stunning but as it's the most expensive disc of the lot at £27 i'll maybe wait for more reviews.

It's good to see the studios putting out new releases on the format and with it being region free i'll be picking up the revenant on release from the US.

If you are getting into the format, what launch titles are you buying?

I've purchased some Ultra HD titles from here

Expendables 3 4K Mastering, 2 Pack, 2PC on WOW HD

It seems the cheapest place, others members on the forums have ordered from here and arrived seen no negative comments about them, also there was no tax to pay for the people who have received them, maybe this is hit & miss ? Will find out shortly. :)

at £14.23 delivered It has an ATMOS MIX and had Digital Intermediate (4K) so it's a genuine 4K disc !

Picked up Chappie and have ordered ASM2 (£18 each, not from wow though), so those plus the two pack-in discs should be enough to keep me going for now. Definitely won't import any Fox discs though, I'll wait for the UK ones to be released. I'll give X-Men DOFP a whirl and wouldn't mind getting a look at Kingsman too.

I've got Smurfs 2 and Chappie from Wow HD, Concussion is on the way and I've pre-ordered The Revenant and Now You See Me too. Have also ordered the UK versions of Life of Pi and Kingsman, so should be enough to get started once the player is out.

Picked up Chappie and have ordered ASM2 (£18 each, not from wow though), so those plus the two pack-in discs should be enough to keep me going for now. Definitely won't import any Fox discs though, I'll wait for the UK ones to be released. I'll give X-Men DOFP a whirl and wouldn't mind getting a look at Kingsman too.
If you bought those through All Your Music on Amazon, you have effectively bought them from Wow HD as they are the same company. As are Deep Discount and Import CDs.

Ive pre-ordered Kingsman, Exodus and BvS... can't wait too check them out

I've been watching the prices on Wow HD and they fluctuate when the dollar value against the pound changes by two cents or more. Let's hope it gets nearer to $1.5 so these get cheaper!

Have Mad Max and Chappie on the way and have pre-ordered BvS.

Not pre-ordered anything yet (just those bundled with the panny), but kingsman is likely, Sicario a definite (blu Ray is amazing), revenant highly likely.

Am going to be picky initially having double dipped a few times for Atmos versions etc. Unless the disc has Atmos/Dts-x and gets great picture reviews, I may think twice. But if I get the blu as standard with the UHD, it's kind of a moot point! I genuinely don't mind paying extra for superior sound and vision. I am less fussed to pay extra for it to look the same though...

All Disney had to do was announce The Force Awakens on 4K Blu-Ray and I would have jumped on board. Oh well

Ordered Kingsman.

Where have you ordered your player from Geoff?

Definitely getting the Panny and the Martian to test the waters.

Does anyone find it odd that The Martian is still not available for preorder even though all other Fox releases except Wild are? Surely it is not going to be a Samsung exclusive with their player? This behaviour put a lot of people off 3D when they couldn't buy Avatar!

Where have you ordered your player from Geoff?
Superfi, but they haven't replied to my email about reducing the price so I'll be cancelling and ordering from donaghy bros. £50 saving means Chappie and ASM2 are already paid for (£18 each), I might even go for Ender's Game for £14 from wow HD to make it up to £50. :D

Disney haven't announced support for UHD Blu-ray full stop. Probably waiting to see how the market pans out first.

Disney haven't announced support for UHD Blu-ray full stop. Probably waiting to see how the market pans out first.
Interesting. I notice the disneylife package for kids at £9.99 a month is getting pushed harder, perhaps they have one eye on that for all their content

Just bought The Martian from Wow HD considering a UK release isn't scheduled.

I thought I read somewhere that The Martian will be bundled exclusively with the Samsung player.
Might explain why it's not listed to buy in the UK yet with the other titles.

I thought I read somewhere that The Martian will be bundled exclusively with the Samsung player.
Might explain why it's not listed to buy in the UK yet with the other titles.
Which is a farce unfortunately. Exclusivity deals when trying to sell a new format do it no favours whatsoever.

Which is a farce unfortunately. Exclusivity deals when trying to sell a new format do it no favours whatsoever.
Yes, if true. It's the same stunt they tried with 3D. We all know how well that turned out....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom