Ultra Budget Student Living Room

mrt01983

Hi Guys

taken me a bit too long to finally get round to posting this, but anyway here it is. When we first moved in here (September 2009) we just had a 28" Panny CRT bought from Oxfam for £50, rested on some ancient coffee table.

Also had a 22" HD telly from Argos in our bedroom.

In december decided to splash out £30 on some logitech speakers (2.1), which were class but I really missed surround (always had surround since a nipper at my parents)

So in January bought surround sound (Samsung HT-Z222R, £160) and added that to my PS3 and HDTV in the bedroom.

Soon got bored of sitting in the bedroom all the time and wanted to be more sociable with our housemates so we all chipped in around May time and bought a Toshiba 37RV365D/635D can never remember the number order. As seen below with a nice £40 unit from Argos (this pic was actually taken in November but apart from the Virgin box and Wii it's pretty much exactly the same as it was in May)

When we got Virgin installed I had to take the PS3 out the display unit and had it on the floor, which I hate. I then bought the mrs a wii as an early Xmas present and that had to go on the floor too, so I was off to Ikea!
Imagine trying to get a 7' tall 7 stone box into a mini. I had to unpack it in the car park and drive home with the windows open :oops:

This is after moving everything around and creating a gap for the unit. Note the nice big 10 gang I got for everything :D Also had to rip the Virgin cable up as I was swapping sides of the room, now theres a lot of excess but oh well.
THe unit is an Ikea MAVAS by the way, wouldn't try and put anything bigger than a 37" on it. (Although they say 32")

Test fitting the telly:

Fully built with cables in situ:

Fully built with AV gear, no extras yet

watching youtube:

As the unit looks today:

Other pics of the room today:

Extra DVD storage and hobby displays:

Rear speakers:

All the old crap in far corner of room + mini fridge:

Total cost of respec: ±£90
£49.50 on ikea mavas
£40ish on cables and power supplies

Kit list (ignore my sig it's a bit wrong):
PS3 2nd gen
Toshiba 37RV365D
Samsung HT-Z222R
Nintendo Wii Black
2007 MacBook running Plex 9
Western Digital 500GB External HDD over firewire for TV shows/movie storage
Virgin V+ HD "L" package
Virgin 10mb cable broadband and wireless hub (PS3 connected via ethernet)
Logitech Harmony One (got this TODAY as xmas present from the MRS, what a winner, was actually this that made me want to post all this!)

Virgin, PS3 and Macbook all hooked into the Samsung for surround sound, using that stupid little optical switcher you might be able to see (samsung only has one digital input) but the switch has stopped working so I have to manually change the cable if we switch between PS3/Plex (not bothering with virgin surround atm)

Sorry for wall of text, any feedback appreciated :)
Also for bad quality pics, taken in a rush on my ip4

Darrenraymond

Sorry, taken in a rush on my ip4
Were you on on ur "ip4" wen u were cleaning up....You need to chillout mate cos it looks like you getting nothing done :laugh:

Im sorry. Setup looks good mate. At least your getting the proper enjoyment out of it, no matter the "budget"

mrt01983

Were you on on ur "ip4" wen u were cleaning up....You need to chillout mate cos it looks like you getting nothing done :laugh:

Im sorry. Setup looks good mate. At least your getting the proper enjoyment out of it, no matter the "budget"

Thanks, but what do you mean lol? :thumbsup:

Bizness

Top top student digs.

Trying to think what I had when at uni, a black and white CRT stood on an empty beer keg I think. :)

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
only students would live with them sofas :D

good work though, we had a 20 inch CRT that only worked through scart when we were at uni, when i left i had a 17 inch flat screen in my room as they were just becomming affordable. Didn't even consider getting surround sound and a massive TV while we were there, couldn't afford that and beer so we had to prioritise... i think we can all work out what won

mrt01983

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Freebies from the in laws so no complaints :D
I can't poke too much fun, we are living somewhere temporarily for a month, until we know if we can stay permanently we are using the sofas the old tennants left for us and they are horrific, bright floral patterns. If we can stay they are being fobbed off to someone else or going in the skip and we are buying a nice sofa of our own but for now they have a sheet thrown over them to hide their offensiveness.

mrt01983

That was kind of the point of the white throws, but they got a bit decimated over time. Beer and pizza makes a mess. We're meant to be getting a new sofa within a week from the landlords so fingers crossed! :D

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
That was kind of the point of the white throws, but they got a bit decimated over time. Beer and pizza makes a mess. We're meant to be getting a new sofa within a week from the landlords so fingers crossed! :D
yeah we've not had too much beer and pizza in our week where we are so the throw is in good order still. We do have a generic grey futon in our spare room as well but i looked under that last night and i'm not sure it's in any condition to be removed from that room to be placed elsewhere.

If we can stay where we are i will at some point make my own thread around here, lots of plans in my head to get done but i can't make any headway until we know, not sure how i'm going to covertly network a flat where i can't even use nails in the walls but it's a challenge i'm up for

Trending threads

Top Bottom