1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra budget amp & bookshelve speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi guys, I'm after suggestions for a cheap intergrated amp and some bookshelve speakers. Looking to go second hand with a £400 max budget. Will be using a Tag Dac20 with some sort of transport (dvd/sacd player). Room is fairly small and I tend to listen to alternative/rock(&roll)/indie music although occasionally some hip hop and blues - nt sure if that makes much difference when choosing speakers...

What kit should I be trying to demo? All advise welcome :)

Cheers, Nick.

2. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Nick,

Firstly, I see you're Portsmouth-based! Me too! As you probably know, there's two main stores here - Now That's HiFi in Arundel Street. They stock Mission/Tannoy/NAD/Marantz gear, as well as Sony and Pioneer. Audio-T is in London Road, North End. The stock Rotel/B&W/NAD/Monitor Audio as well as others. See: http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/stores/portsmouth.html for details. We could do with a few more stores here!

£400 should get you a nice setup for that. I'd consider the NAD C320BEE amp - as it happens, I'm trading my Yamaha receiver and a pair of Mission m30 speakers in for one on Saturday, as I've decided to go back to 2-channel stereo. The RRP is £220, IIRC. Another contender is the Rotel RA-01, but it's priced slightly higher at £250.

As for speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze 2's seem to be highly regarded as a match for this amp. RRP is about £180-ish.

You might also be able to find some Mission 780s - these would be a bargain and possibly fairly cheap, as I don't think Mission manufacture them any more. Mission m71s or m72s are also a decent budget speaker. Not too convinced on the m30 series - I have a pair of m30s and they definately are not as good as the m70s. Personally, I feel that the m70 range was better than the m30 range, but that's all IMHO. B&W also seem to be well matched with NAD gear, but I'm not sure on exact model numbers/prices - the DM303 could well fit the bill. They also have good synergy with Rotel - B&W are the Rotel distributors in the UK.

Best thing you can do is to try and audiition as many items/combinations as possible and see which you prefer the sound of. You may well be wise to bring your DAC along. I realise the transport characteristics can possibly cause differences in sound, but at least by bringing your DAC-20 with you, you'll have a pretty sound idea of what you can expect.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Neil

3. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Audio T and sevenoaks in bristol sound be able to internally ship stuff between stores. Sevenoaks was a £10 last time I used it. They've got an Arcam A65+ or Marantz 7200 for around £200 which have had goodish reviews, Speaker wise, B&W 602's should be in reach, Monitor Audio S1 and S2. Have a look,

http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/listings/index.php

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html

http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/home.html

have got Musical Fidelity X-80 for £249 but they say its only in-store a bit of sweet talking might work. Oh and don't forget Kef Q1's recently replaced so available on the cheap, nice sounding but not the loudest or most bass. Good in small rooms though. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the replies :) Neil I'm will be moving back up to Bristol in a couple of weeks (uni) so will most probably purchase everything up there - seem to have a few more shops also!. All those recommendations look sound - will try and arrange some demos. What do you guys feel about buying second hand from eBay - worth the potential risk?

Cheers, Nick.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  6. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checkout the Cambridge Audio range. Possibly the best value for money if you are on a tight budget. Seems to get universally favourable reviews.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :)

7. pjdowns

pjdowns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are willing to go down the second hand route, then could I sugget the following

Audiolab 8000A (Excellent amplifer)

For speakers, I would probably recommend

Epos ELS3

Hope this helps

Paul.