ULTIMATE subwoofer..... 150 watt 10" - God or bad??

B

BeanWORLD

Hello!

I am going to buy a subwoofer, and i found a ULTIMATE (?) very cheap, and it seems to be good, you can manual adjust the freq 40 hz to 130 hz....

FACTS:

150 watt ind. amp.
10" - (big kabinet)

Does anyone have something like this sub- iam sorry i dont know the models name.... Do YOU know about this is a HIT or some TRASH???

CHR/DENMARK

CDR

It does not sound very good to me.

I would not call it Sub Woofer if it only goes down to 40hz, subs go down to at least 20hz.

In fact my front speakers go down to 40hz.

:cool:

He said "adjust to 40Hz", not extend down to 40Hz.

Anyhow, IMHO a bit difficult to judge from the few specs given, I would recommend an audition with some more experienced person.

Originally posted by eddiea
I would not call it Sub Woofer if it only goes down to 40hz, subs go down to at least 20hz.

Out of interest, there are plenty of popular and respected subs that don't go as low as 20Hz at +/-3dB - REL Q150, Q200/201 (all around 25Hz) or at +/-2dB - M&K: VX7II (40Hz), MX70B (27Hz), K Series (35Hz).

You've got the watch out how the figures are quoted as well - the +/-3dB is the figure to look for - M&K use +/-2dB which is even more honest - they are being hard on themselves - at +/- 3dB their figures would look better.

REL have recently started using +/-6dB which is, IMHO, a bit naughty and here's why: take the Q200 - at +/-3dB it goes down to 25Hz (which is the figure REL always used to quote) - now, using +/-6dB, the REL website proudly state that the Q200 goes down to 17Hz - quite a difference!

So, the moral is - look at how the figures are quoted and look for the +/-3dB figure - this doesn't mean the sub/speaker won't produce bass below the quoted frequency at +/-3dB, it just means that the volume of such bass starts to tail off below this.

Matt.

What's also important with subwoofers that doesn't ever get mentioned is that they should have speed, and slam not only depth.

Depth is all I ever hear about but if it's slow and boomy it's probably not much good either.

thirded

and to add.

all subs go down to Zero Htz ists just at that its also at Zero db :D

so as matt says 17hz may look good on paper but in practice doesnt count for squat when it cant be herd at reasonable levels

best advice is to listen to them, after all once youve bought the sub its your ears you use and not you spec sheet.

The bass you feel is the best for me, almost like a unholy presence in the room. What I call 3D for the senses. Bass should be FAST, TIGHT, CONTROLLED AND DEEP. I've got the back door rattling before. This is in the kitchen over 30ft away, which has a hallway in between an two internal roof supporting walls.

I'm trying to create the force of nature feel, like the real sub sonic stuff of rolling thunder rumbling in the distance. If the sub or subs are vibrating your clothes without distortion, you doing good in my book.

Don't forget to try for a smooth freq response. THX Optimode can help here if you do not have any other suitable material. This way the bass may sound natural and not as if it's got a 12db gain on it. Subs should support the main speaker and work together seemlessly.

Rgds

Nathan

I have just bought it, because i can get my money back if i don´t think it plays good! So here we have some facts:

10" - active - 22 hz - 240 hz - 150 watt dont know anything about sensivity.

I think i plays very well, but it sounds like it is a bit slow sometimes... but it can make "rumble in the jungle" - but to some music it sounds kind of slow.... esp. songs with allot af bass + droms.

Does anyone know a good song i can use for demonstration/testing? - and are the facts good enought?

This is a stupid problem, but the woofer stands on my flor, an i always lay in my beed, but the bass is way to more heavy down there, and sometimes its too heavy!

A good test for Subs can be heard on Blade. The Rave scene at the begining has a thumping bass line. On a slow sub the beat kicks in slightly out of sync with the rest of the track.

Hmmm, the rave scene on Blade has always troubled me. The bass kicks in late in my set-up but when playing Star ship troopers, the scene with the big bug that the bloke rides, the bass hits perfectly with each footstep. It sounds very tight and controlled. I always assumed that the Blade track was supposed to sound like that.

Have just watched the Blade scene - well nearly ended up watching the whole thing. Bass did not seem to be out of sync. This is very low cycle stuff though as could feel my shirt moving. If your sub is being overdriven and or badly placed it will sound boomy and slow.

The first time Blade hits the charred vamp in the Hospital should sound/feel like as if he hit you.

Subs can sound slow if asked to do too much and or badly positioned, you need to get it where the bass sounds even. You should never ever be aware of the subs position.

Remember that the room, its' size and it's contents will change and effect the sound.

Good luck

Nathan

Hey!

What do you mean with this:;

"Subs can sound slow if asked to do too much"

Is it that you have to set the adjustable freq. range til mayby 70 hz..... (so that the sub only will have a litle area to play over)??

Basically, what I mean is :-

If the magnet on the speaker and the amp are not powerful enough to keep the cone in order and or the gain it too high, the overall effect can seem like slower bass. It loses it's agility to react quickly which makes the sound heavy and muddled, this is often confused with boomin bass.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Matt F
REL have recently started using +/-6dB which is, IMHO, a bit naughty and here's why: take the Q200 - at +/-3dB it goes down to 25Hz (which is the figure REL always used to quote) - now, using +/-6dB, the REL website proudly state that the Q200 goes down to 17Hz - quite a difference!

And if REL are a bit naughty then what should we make of Yamaha? On their website, the frequency range of their flagship SW800 subwoofer is quoted as 18-160Hz (-10dB) yes MINUS TEN dB!

Yamaha - you take the biscuit (or should that be "the p**s")?

Matt.

p.s. can't not mention MJ Acoustics either - Pro 50 very well reviewed but, again, they claim a frequency response of 15Hz to 240Hz - this is a small 50 watt sub with a single 8" driver - I wonder why they don't quantify this 15Hz with a +/- dB figure?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom