Ultimate "play everything" machine?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
  3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Lexicon is apparently based on the Pioneer 747. They apparently has identical menus.
    So far Lexicon have not divulged what they have done to the player to justify the extra £2300+ premium.

How much is the Linn Gordon?

4. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, the Lexicon does appear to have a 1/2 inch thick front panel :rolleyes:

I would love to get a player with a DVI-D output to match my HT1000 projector, getting rid of some A/D conversion.

Nigel.

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Oh I never noticed that :rolleyes:

That should make it sound a real lot better and make it worth every penny of the price hike.

Looks like I better order one then.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The £6.5k Linn looks VERY tasty, my dealer say it out performs every CD player bar their CD12, plays everything as well. Want to know more about that chip as well.

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have listened to the Linn CD12 twice. Once in Montrose and once in Hull. Although it sounded good both times I was left with a feeling slightly dissapointed. Maybe I hyped it up too much prior to the auditions but IMHO I would say it was no way worth anything near what it costs.

I have a Musical fidelity NuVista player which constantly amazes me with just how good it sounds due to the upsampling and it was worth every penny of the 3 grand price tag. I had no hesitation in buying this

I have yet to hear DVD audio or SACD but it would be interesting to hear the Lex just how superior it sounds compared to my CD player.

I would also like to compare both the Lex and the Pioneer but I would probably be hard pressed to find a dealer that stocks both.

Darren

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    adding a stronger chassis .... £150
    adding AES/EBU digital interface .... £75
    adding uprated Video and Audio DACs .... £300

adding Lexicon decal ... priceless

Vikki :)

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Read about the Linn in The Source newsletter they sent me, if nothing else I admire the way they have embraced both hi-resolution formats.
    Has to be the future ? :)

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Nigel,

"I would love to get a player with a DVI-D output to match my HT1000 projector, getting rid of some A/D conversion."

You don't have to spend much now to get a DVI-D output on a DVD player. Check out the new Bravo D1 at www.vinc.us Not bad for $199! Also, there is the upcoming Samsung DVD-HD931 which features the Faroudja FLI2310 chip and also has a DVI-D output. Loads of info on these two at www.avsforum.com

Steve

11. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your comments, Steve. I wonder when (if) the Samsung will be available over here.

I currently use a Pioneer DV-530 which has given me good service over the years. My only real complaint on PQ when using it with the projector is that it looks soft. Now I don't know whether this is a fundamental limit caused by the resoluton of DVD recordings or whether it can be improved with a better player. The pictures displayed from my PC or from the built-in memory card viewer on the projector look very sharp, but then that is using the whole 1024 pixel resolution of the projector.

Nigel.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Hi Nigel,

the 530 doesn't have component out does it? If so, then the picture can definately be improved by a better player with component out.

I first demo'd the HT1000 with a Pioneer via component, and the quality of the image was so good I decided that I wanted to go that route and mothball the computer. The Toshiba sd520e is the only player I've seen that gives a similar image (I didn't make a note of the Pioneer model number).

Unfortunately the 520 I had was faulty, so I'm hoping to get a good one, or maybe a newer Tosh (630?) in the future.

My only issue with htpc is that it's too sharp - the image tends to be a little harsh and can bring out the artefacts that increase mosquito noise. Being able to reduce the sharpness is very good for making the image smoother and more solid looking, which is why I think I prefer interlaced component into the pj over htpc.

I've managed to tweak out a lot of the noise when using WinDVD, and by using 'dynamic' gamma setting I find that a lot of the noise in darker scenes is hidden, and without noticably reducing black detail.

How does your pc look when playing DVDs?

Cheers,

Gary.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Bee: The Unidisk uses SIL504 for de-interlacing if that is the "chip" you're interested in.

Rigman: I've heard ropey CD12's as well. There are set up parametres on them that can be miss-used resulting in poorer performance than usual. I've also heard three in one room and noted they all were different(this was in very beggining of production run). All were great but the best one was ASTOUNDING. Never heard any other CD player to beat it.

Gordon

14. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Garry,

Unfortunately it is awkward for me to try the PC into the projector right now as they are in different rooms. I did consider going the HCPC route but think my wife would probably object to having "such a mess" in the lounge. It is bad enough with the current set of equipment :D

I would like to try a Bravo D1 as it is getting good reviews over on the AVS board. I suspect it will probably be region 1 only and 110V but at $200 it would be very interesting to see what it did.

Regarding your observations on the HCPC picture being too sharp, have you looked at the resolution tests on the AVIA disk, and if so, did they look over-cooked? When I first got my HT1000 and rigged it up temporarily to my PC, I was blown away at how good Windows looked on it, and it didn't look over-cooked on that. I have read articles about how much edge enhancement they add on some DVD's, so maybe some of what you saw was due to that. Maybe one needs circuitry to negate the effect of edge enhancement to get back to a "flat" response.

Nigel.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    HTPC gives the best results on the resolution tests if i remember correctly - no illusionary circles within the main circle for instance, and no ghosting around the text.

My main gripe was mosquito noise being brought out and was quite obvious at times. However, since I've been tweaking the computer with Avia, I seem to have managed to reduce this considerably, and by using the HT1000s gamma setting of dynamic, it seems to hide the vast majority of what little is left. Using natural is OK, except sometimes in dark scenes on some dvds you can see the mpeg blocking. Dynamic helps a lot with that though.

I'm finding it difficult to see any noise now - it's more or less a non issue, except I still miss the creamy image of a good interlaced player with the sharpness reduced. I guess it's swings and roundabouts..

If you try the scart input, it is very similar (except for macrovision interference), and you lose sweetvision etc, so that may give you an idea of what to expect.

I just watched the R1 version of The Phantom Menace, which has terrible EE, but even that appeares greatly reduced. I can only assume correct calibration has tamed a lot of the issues I had before. Which is nice. :)

The Bravo does look interesting, but I need R2 as well. It certainly does look good value.

The Panasonic RP82 gets rave reviews, so I thought I'd look at the UK equivalents - I found the RA82 which looks identical, except it has a scart output and no componenet, which was dissapointing. Oh well, the search goes on...

HTH

Gary.

16. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Gary,

Unfortunately the RP82 is no longer available, but the XP30 and XP50 have the same (chroma bug-free) MPEG decoder and Faroudja FLI2200 chip. Multi-region (and SDI modded) versions are available from www.jvb.nl Hope this helps.

Steve

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is the SACD chip that interests me, I hear it is a bit of good one that Sony persuaded the manufacturer to let Linn have first go with it. I say rumour only.

18. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi all

does the rt-10 output pal progreeive?if not now would it be available in the future?

carl