ultimate ICE kit required for pickup

M

milesd

Simple request
I wish to install, musically, the best ICE kit available. I am not limited by cost (I will have to be heavily persuaded if the spend exceeds £5k), but I am limited by space and acoustics as the vehicle is a Toyota Hilux Double Cab. Can anyone help in the specification of the amps/speakers/acoustics, but also a good installer who can advise on the design and install of the system in the middlesex/surrey area.

The hilux has 2 batteries (1 main and 1 backup), so I was thinking to use the back up to support the ICE system

Operational needs are simple (but would rather sort out acoustics first):
- ipod connection
- bluetooth telephone connection for blackberry pearl
- cd player
- dab tuner
I want this to be a fit and forget for 5 years and to be as 'invisible' as possible as the pickup is a site vehicle.

All help appreciated.
Miles

Kaos_vauxhall

Novice Member
Well mate with 5K :eek: :eek: :eek: on just ICE.

Ok first things first

What kind of sound do you listen to, as different music genres have different requirements from the speakers?

If you listen to lets say garage or RnB/Hip Hop

Then you would like you Bass units to be Heavy duty meaning Subwoofers with powers exceeding 1000 Watts RMS

Where as if you listen to classical and poppy you would focus on the Tops (Tweeters) and mids (Mid range components - plays both) and then put in a or 2 subwoofer(s) of 400 watts RMS

This would give you nice crispness

Because as you said you are working with Space and hiding the ICE you may want to just dial down the Crazy Subwoofers and think about Plain n simple powerful Components including 6X9's

there’s more to then just buying speakers and putting them in, you have know what exactly your working with how much space do you have in your door panels (what’s the depth of the door) so speakers fit nicely and you don’t have to do extension on your door for them.

as far as the Stereo is concerned then you can go all out looking at around £500 - about £1500 if you get one of those all in 1 GPS Navigation DVD DivX THE LOCK STOCK AND F*****g BARRELS head units

But IT DEPENDS do you have Single DIN or double DIN in your car for you stereo

Here are some model numbers for DOUBLE DIN Head units

KENWOOD-DNX7200
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5810.html

Or

PIONEER-AVIC-D3BT
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5821.html

Get back to me with the above info then maybe I could narrow down the selection for ya for the speakers and tell me if you’re working with a single DIN or double DIN that way we can narrow that down too.

I hope this was I tiny bit helpful as it is just the first stage in your ICE venture.

PS. even though u got 2 batteries you may want get a power cap as well for the amps if the AMP(s) are going to heavy duty. :D

M

milesd

Cheers KV
musical tastes very varied, from voice (radio 4) through to opera, so no one particular genre. However, I assume the hilux is similar to my current L200, therefore the area available for speakers in the doors is limited. And with no boot space so is the rearfor subs.
Happy to spend less than £5k, however have seen american amps up to £1500 and german, rainbow? amps for around £500+ and given I would like as pure a sound as possible (I assume this requires class A or A-B amps) as I spend more days on the road than at home, I put a finger in the air for the budget.
Thanks for the leads, I am looking to resolve within the next three weeks prior to hilux arriving.
I forgot to add the system needs to be idiot proof (fit and forget) as I do not want to have to deal with once installed.
Regards
Miles

micb3rd

If you are going to spend this kind of money unless you are a good installer or want to spend a good 6 month to a year testing out and perfecting install techniques then I do recommend looking at one of the better installers like Audioscape, SQPLUS, Turners or Prestige Audio.

To get the best out of car audio you need to have very good sound deaneding everywhere, so there are minimised rattles, solid MDF, Birtchply or Steal mounting points for the front speakers playing into well sealed doors or custom pods.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
If you are going to spend this kind of money unless you are a good installer or want to spend a good 6 month to a year testing out and perfecting install techniques then I do recommend looking at one of the better installers like Audioscape, SQPLUS, Turners or Prestige Audio.

To get the best out of car audio you need to have very good sound deaneding everywhere, so there are minimised rattles, solid MDF, Birtchply or Steal mounting points for the front speakers playing into well sealed doors or custom pods.
Totally agree with this.

I'd also like to ask, why, oh why would you want +1000 watt subwoofers in a space the size of a Hilux cab ?! With the sort of volumes and sound pressure levels subs like that would produce, you wouldn't be able to sit in the thing! :rolleyes:

I can guaruntee that you will spend far less than £5k on a decent system for your Hilux. A simple component set up, with 6.5" midbass drivers and a good quality 12" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure would more than suffice. You're probably looking at £2k max for the parts, even if you went for the top, top end stuff, at retail prices. Then there's just the install fees.

The key to the install, as touched on above, among other things, would be that everything within the cabin and all panels are acoustically 'dead', the speakers are angled and placed correctly for a decent soundstage and sound field and the vehicle is still usable, for obvious reasons.

Take some of 'micb3rd's' advice and get in touch with one of the installers he's recommended :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom