Ultimate DVD player?

AndyOxon

Standard Member
If you had £2000-3000 to spend on a DVD player what would you buy; it can be new or used. Secondly if buget wasn't an option what's the best there is? All coments welcome, many thanks

Andy

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I'll throw a two box solution into the works.

Arcam DV29 outputting interlaced over HDMI
DVDO iScan VP30 with ABT102D deinterlacing card fitted.

This should outperform most other DVD player on the market and will have te benefit of being able to improve the picture from a number of other video sources. Probably looking at about £3200 all in.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Not really a 'player' but it is basically what I use, only with SDI'ed 29.

sjackson

Arcam seem to have sorted out the issues on the DV137. That could be up there too.....

Matt Horne

What about ultimate interlaced output + sound quality... do any of the older players fit the bill ?

How does the quality of the Huge Denon match up once you look past the scaling at the core output?

skooby

Standard Member
if you want the ultamate interlaced and sound output go for a meridain 598 or the new G98 paired with 568.2mm.

Skooby

CJROSS

AndyOxon said:
If you had £2000-3000 to spend on a DVD player what would you buy; it can be new or used. Secondly if buget wasn't an option what's the best there is? All coments welcome, many thanks

Andy

Teac DV50 is an interesting device from what I have seen.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
The Teac is nice as is the Onkyo 1000 as well. The video deinterlacing is behind the big Denon however which is why I SDI mine. Both are good alrounders.

A Tag interlaced DVD feeding a VP30 / ABT102 is a formidable combination if you find a working Tag! This is the sort of idea Matt is talking about but uses an analogue connector which some won't like on principle but for me here makes little difference. In the same line there are other good battle ship players that give a stunning performance here if the output is fed to the likes of the DVDO for video. Audio was always there. Arcam 29, Tosh 9500, probably a big Sony. Where these players aren't as good, and this probably includes the Meridians and Linns as well, is that the latest DVDO video processing gives the video a significant jump in qualtiy, which the Denon has build in already, well the inportant deinterlacing bits anyway.

It may well be many people have top performing audio players that are easily 'updated' with a video processor to take on the best DVD player on the market, or like many you may prefer the all in convenience of an all in one DVD /Universal player like the Denon.

AndyOxon

Standard Member
Does anyone have a link to a SDI website as i'm not sure what you are talking about is it like a Lumagen upscaler which i have been told about for a projector I'm thinking of. Also if I up my buget to £5000 are there any other players that i should consider either new or secondhand? looking forward to your comments.

binbag

Philips 963SA SDI and:
VP30 with ABT102D SDI (Under £2k)
Crystallio II under £3K

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom