ULTIMATE DVD PLAYER !!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiberious, May 9, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ayone been following the thread on AVS about the Skyworth 1050p ??

- multi region, pro-scan for pal and ntsc,Faroudja de-interlacer, no combing, no chroma bug (virtually!)and a damn sight more for the princely some of.......£175 !!!

Apparantly available only from Hong Kong/China at the moment .Have a read over at AVS - They are even saying it can be adapted to use as a De interlacer for your other video sources !!

Anyone in the import business ??

:)

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Is it as good as I am hearing ???????

if so why ? it simple terms please, is its picture and sound as good as the sony 735 ?

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Exactly !!

It would appear so at the moment - the experts are still running the slide rule over it- but initial results seem to confirm this is a special little player !.

Better than the SONY ? - It would be silly for me to say without seeing it myself , but I guess the point is that the Skyworth is a Progressive scan player, while the Sony735 is interlaced only, so not comparing eggs with eggs.

Point is - for £175 (probably £260 with tax and shipping) you get a machine which has no macrovision,no region coding,no RCE problems,has auto voltage (use anywhere without voltage adaptor), uses QUALITY components (Faroudja chip), is pro scan for ALL REGIONS, has VGA output as well as component, all usual decoders - and can potentially be adapted to process your other sources (tv/video)at a standard which appears at this stage to be better than the i-scan pro !!.

We have seen these "false dawns" before of course, so I would be a little cautious until the egg heads complete their analysis.

.....course if it was sold over here it would probably retail for £600 !!

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok chaps- Well, I`m gonna give it a shot !!.

I`ll be ordering today - hopefully will arrive sometime mid June (intact I hope !)

Any thoughts on how much duty I can expect to pay (cost us$260)?

I`ll post on receipt - I guess this will be the first player over here using the faroudja for deinterlacing, and the first giving pal progressive.

Fingers crossed.......

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stright from the horses mouth...

Customs and Excise calculation info

looks like DVD players have duty at 14% and VAT at 17.5%. You will probably be charged ten or twenty quid by the courier for the priveledge of taking it through for you. :rolleyes: oh well - hopefully it will still be a bargin...

Good Luck

Jim

[ 22-05-2001: Message edited by: Big Jim ]

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberous, can you let us now the ordering details ie where from? weblink ETC.
    Thanks

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - so I`m looking at a total
    cost of about £300 - shame, but still a
    steal if it performs as expected.

Floyd

hivizone.com

8. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you use Progressive Scan on any TV or does it have to be a specific type? Does the TV have to be put in a special mode or have certain sockets?

Thanks

9. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Minimum you`ll need component or VGA
    connections - not too many of them about
    I`m afraid.

10. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this player has s video out as well.

11. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    showing june now for availability. i got a dvd in preparation for the discount (disc is free in effect) but i dont think its what im after, so £19 for pay it forward was quite alot ;)

PS Got a nice fedex letter today for a gameboy advanced import duty, £33 inc £4.50 admin charge...how they get away with charging $35 for shipping and handling then slap admin fees on sucks

M

12. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tiberious,

Hope the player exceeds your expectations and more. :D

Philmate.

13. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    tiberious
    £300 is still £150 less than I paid for my 735 which, although is RCE multiregional chipped, still has macrovision enabled. DOH!!!! :mad:
    Best of luck…
    Mark

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,605
    USAgent and all those wanting to know about progressive scan - go to www.progressivescan.co.uk and also read up in the Progressive scan forum here.

15. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given Star's inability to deliver a standard DVD let alone a DVD Player I would suggest you buy directly from a reputable supplier like Hivizone at:
    www.hivizone.com

Neil.

16. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those who may be interested - over at thedvdforums.com (under Suppliers forum)StarDVD is trying to arrange a consignment of these puppies.Price indicated is £199-229, but they only ship in lots of 800 !!!.

Have a peek, maybe worth contacting

17. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got confirmation of shipping - hopefully be with me for the weekend !!

yipeee !!

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jammy bugger!

19. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buns

Whilst I believe you are correct ,I should point out that the company concerned changed the name of the product to "jammy dodgers", prior to the product hitting the market.
    - I know, I know - it`s politacl correctness gone mad !!

20. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IT`S IN THE COUNTRY - BEING PROCESSED NOW !!!

-I`m not excited.

21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When you do get it and u got all the costs and such sorted from customs, let us know what you ended up paying please!

If i were you i would be excited too!

Adam

22. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey, I'm getting exited, and I'm not even buying one! yet.

But as long at still turns out to be a good deal after customs have chucked it on the floor and spilled coffee on it, I'll be in there like a shot!

Let us know as soon as pos. how much it works out too, please.

cheers.

:D :D

23. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!

Had a quick play last night - more on that later today, I promise.

So far no additional costs - hivizone stated the value of the package as $100, nothing to suggest any duty/vat will be levied (do they send a bill later, or do you normally pay on receipt ?).

Assuming no further bills - total cost $260+$80.5 shipping cv @1.35 (est)=£252.

-And to whet your appetite -IT`S A STEAL !!

More later.....

24. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick word on customs etc. They will charge you duty on the item PLUS the shipping which I guess you already know. If you DO get caught make sure you see the relevant customs and excise paperwork! I bring quite a bit into the country from the US and Canada and often get caught by the customs which is to be expected. Some couriers will attempt to charge you the duty etc WITHOUT the customs actually charging it to them! Its happened to me, I queried it and after being blagged for a while with "we cant find the paperwork" etc they let it drop. Thought you should all know! Cheers :eek:

25. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philmate

Sorry mate - posted it under separate heading- but just for you, here`s what I said (followed by an update !)

It came,I saw - I`m conquered !!
    Downers

Packing is non existent - I opened the parcel to find a large dent in the metal housing just above the tray - not good, but after removing the housing and applying a little pressure, it was fine !!

Build quality is laughable - it weighs about 10lbs, and while I was taking the housing off, the front of the tray dropped off !!(it clips back on-I think it`s plastic !).

Anyhow, on a high `cos no duty/customs - I proceeded to set it up.I hooked it up via component to my HT200, shooting on to a 7ft screen.Audio was fed through a Pioneer 908 receiver.

I had read of Y/C delay problems when using component rather than the VGA connection, but i`m happy to report no problems on my set.

Straightforward setup menus -only took 5 mins before I was up and running - although, be aware, there is NO picture processing with this unit (no sharpness/contrast etc).

Anyway, acid test for me was R1 Great Escape - Non anamorphic, and unwatchable on my Pioneer 626 - shimmering,jaggies galore and halo - looks worse than vhs !! - On the Skyworth - bingo !! jaggies and halo almost completely eradicated,shimmering significantly reduced and noticeable reduction in grain -I could sit and enjoy it !!

Next up - The Thing R2.The dog running through the snow at the start always gave problems with jaggies, and the helicopter was bad (halo) - again, bingo !!SORTED !!

By special request, I also studied chapter 15 of Gladiater - the battle of Carthage.To cut a long story short, to my eyes, the "problems" were solved - no shimmering of chainmail,no moire,good clear detail on tunics - a very small amount of jaggy on the front tier of the coliseum but all a considerable improvement on the 626.

Only had an hour or so to play, so will give it a good run out over the weekend - any questions, or problem scenes, I`d be happy to check out if I can.

By the way,when running the HT200 via progressive, picture processing menus are reduced (cant adjust sharpness,or y/c delay),so allied to the lack of these controls on the Skyworth, it may cause problems.Also, on some scenes the picture appeared a little "soft".

Overall ,for £250, it looks a steal !!( find another player giving PAL progressive, and using the Faroudja chipset for de-interlacing for this price !!).

Over the weekend I tried everything I had - it passed the test every time.At one point I was concerned about lip-synch , after watching a bit of TOY STORY2 - there appeared to be a slight delay - but further checks showed exactly the same result on my Pioneer626, and the problem was isolated to a couple of scenes.None of my "live" dvds had this problem.No RCE problems,no region problems - just chuck a disc in and hit play !!

I still find it a little strange to have no control over colour and sharpness (none on the skyworth,disabled on the projector when fed viaq prog component),but if I`m honest, I haven`t needed it.

The main two irritants remain the slowness when loading, and the querky tray mechanism(dont try to push it in manually - it`ll seize up and you`ll have to turn the player off, then on, to get it to work !!)

So, not the "ULTIMATE PLAYER", but gives you a good idea of what it will be.The Faroudja chipset is awesome - I wouldn`t buy another player that didn`t use it.It will be interesting to see the Philips and Kenwood machines due soon - but I can`t see them being nearly as "region friendly" as this.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious,
    Earlier in the post you mention about using the skyworth to deinterlace other sources, does this still seem to be a possibility?
    How would you connect them to it?

27. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FLOYD

God - I wish I knew !!.
    There was a post atAVS from a guy in HK who reckoned he could do it - the "brains" at AVS concurred that it was indeed possible, as the chipset is on a separate board within the player - but that various other components would have to be added (including tv decoders, another DAC and other bits).They are working on it, and I await the outcome with interest !!
    -if I hear first, I`ll post - but I don`t expect a quick answer.

28. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Tiberious,

I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase, it's good when you take the plunge and go for it and end up more than satified with the result....good on ya.
    I'm going to order the IPL M3tl floor standers and then the AVC2, me mate's a builder and can supply the MDF and cut it to size for nowt, well a beer so the'll only cost £220 with p/p, I have the sub already, well worth the money. ;)

Philmate.

29. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, c'mon you've kept us in suspense long enough.
    Philmate