Ultimate DVD Platinum Edition

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mwillo, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Mwillo

Mwillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have noticed a lot off reference to the Ultimate DVD Platinum Edition on these pages. And was just wondering is it worth purchasing as it seems a bit expensive to me. As its seems all i would do would be to use it once then leave it on the shelf to gather dust. I could be wrong i usually am. I only ask as am about to buy a new TV and want to set it up correctly.

Mark

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest,i thought it was great as a demo disc.I'm not that technically minded,so i didnt really make full use of its sound levels and picture tweaks.
    Personally i think its easier to set levels to your own preferences by using a decent film(U-571,The Haunting,Saving Private Ryan..etc..)

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this. I picked it up for £10 delivered from www.ezydvd.com.au so have a check on there, it's probably still available for that price ;) It's very good for basic set-up and for demos and it will help you improve your picture and sound quality if you run the tests on the disk. But I wouldn't pay more than that price for it.

If you want the best, most people would recommend Avia - but it comes at a price and it's not worth it if you're not going to understand the extra tests that are on the disk (i.e. not technically minded).

4. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Does anybody know if these setup discs can be rented from anywhere.

Seems like a good idea - unless I'm missing something?

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Worth pointing out here that both Avia and the ultimate DVD setup discs are NTSC, as is VE (Video Essentials, as used by most people I believe). There was talk of a PAL version, but mine are definetly NTSC only. Worth checking before ordering.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are all NTSC, but that doesn't mean they're not useful for performing basic calibration. :)

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    True, but there are differences. If I use VE to calibrate my projector, its only relevant to NTSC sources. If I then were to put on a R2 disc, I would find that the settings would be incorrect. Its mainly brightness (black level) thats different. Presumably this would be the same for a TV, never tried it.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's right, it would be the same for a TV.

I would say the colour would be different too for PAL, as well as the brightness.

But I think that calibrating a display for NTSC would result in a much better picture for both PAL and NTSC compared to the factory-set defaults that most people use. Which is why I think it's useful for basic calibration. :)

Also, most TVs don't store separate settings for PAL and NTSC so you need settings that strike a balance between both. :)

Not ideal for the advanced user, as you say, but alright for the newbie who just wants to improve his display. :)