1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Disc Hunting

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Accident Man, May 4, 2001.

1. Accident Man

Accident Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Everyone on this forum must have purchased the same DVD title more than once due to flipper/anamorphic/special edition/deleted scenes/better region version becoming available etc. So far I've managed to buy 8 titles twice and one even three times! What is your most purchased title, hell, include laserdisc and video. While on the subject, anyone want to hazard a guess regarding the DVD title that has had most variant pressings since so far? I'm thinking Tomorrow Never Dies which has seen at least 3 pressings a piece in this country and the USA(perhaps two in UK, just a different case but still!, and I think 4 in the States as there was a limited edition if memory recalls).

2. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My most purchased title is Dawn The Dead.
    1st I bought anchor bay's director's cut which was a flipper. Then anchor bay's theatrical version which was single sided. Then the dutch 2 disc special edition. This was after I had already bought the image laserdisc and the japanese perfect collection box set-which I still have.
    And all this is before anchor bay release the definative edition (possibly 3 versions in one box) next year.
    I love the film, it's one of my favourites since I was a kid, so I don't really mind.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: wicky1 ]

3. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have to say the original Star Wars Trilogy, currently clocking at 5 versions of each.

The original Wide Screen videos
    The Digitally Remastered Wide Screen videos
    The (Strictly) Limited THX Remastered tin set
    The Special Edition videos
    The Special Edition Laserdisc

I have decided not to get the last re-released set as they won't be better then the laserdisc set and i don't think its worth it for the short thing on Episode II (although i haven't seen it so i might be wrong, but it doesn't seem worth it.)

I am currently waiting my 6th set just as soon as the 'Big Cheese' can get around to putting it all together.

4. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have loads of films on both video and DVD, but apart from that the only multiple DVD I have is Leon.

Video Version
    Original DVD release
    Leon International Version

I would have 2 versions of Cinema Paradiso if I could find somewhere selling the directors cut :(

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like h0l1yw0od my most purchased title is the Star Wars Trilogy. At present I have..

Original Fox 'All Time Classics'full screen release VHS
    Fox wide screen re release VHS
    THX widescreen re release VHS
    NTSC THX widescreen re release LD
    Limited Edition Tin box set VHS
    Special Edition widescreen VHS set
    Special Edition PAL Ld set

...and if Lucas ever gets his you know what into gear I will eventually be able to replace them all with the DVD's !

My problem is I never get rid of anything...even if I dont use ot need it anymore.

My other most purchased movie proves this point. At the mo I have the following versions of Armageddon ..

VHS version
    PAL LD
    NTSC LD
    Criterion LD
    Criterion DVD..

..amd I am now waiting to see what the R2 re release will include and wether it will be worth buying (never know...it may be anamorphic :D )

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Jason ]

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI Folks,

For me, I think it's probably going to be "Dances With Wolves" of all things.

I bought the original Widescreen Boxed Set, which contained the film, and colour booklet, on video. Then, I bought the Special Edition Director's Cut in Widescreen, on video. And now, I own the DTS R2 DVD.

If Costner, or Guild, or whomever, ever releases the Director's Cut to DVD, I'll buy that as well... but then again, I may be waiting a long time.

Pooch

7. Accident Man

Accident Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Jason, if you want to increase that Armageddon tally, the Region 2 DVD already is anamorphic so you needn't necessarily wait until the re-release(you can always buy it AGAIN then!!!) If you are a picture purist though, the Criterion R1 is still superior according to others on this forum(I've not had the opportunity to compare and my personal bias would generally lean towards an anamorphic release.)

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TND has 3 releases in the US. 2 of them are identical, the only difference is change to the cover from LE to standand JB collection cover.

TND has had 2 releases in the UK, original and SE, both releases are cut.