ULEZ in London from 2021

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
My 2002 Lexus IS200 shows as ULEZ exempt, which is laughable when you consider how much juice it drinks and what its CO2 output must be (considering it's £340 a year to tax!!!)

xxx_ibzy_xxx

My 2002 Lexus IS200 shows as ULEZ exempt, which is laughable when you consider how much juice it drinks and what its CO2 output must be (considering it's £340 a year to tax!!!)

It’s strange my 330i was exempt too.

John7

I’d get a bike....who in their right mind is going to want to drive in London with massive reduction road space due to the cycle lanes and the blanket 20mph speed limits?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I’d get a bike....who in their right mind is going to want to drive in London with massive reduction road space due to the cycle lanes and the blanket 20mph speed limits?

People who don't want to arrive places all sweaty, or get squished on the way...

gangzoom

People who don't want to arrive places all sweaty, or get squished on the way...

Get an eBike if you don't want to pedal so much. As for squished, the only times I've come off my pedal bike has always been due to me going too fast, and never to do with anyone else. Its my I haven't got a motorbike, I would be dead by the end of the week.

It is because it doesn't look at CO2 nor fuel consumption as they don't impact the quality of living in London itself :lesson:

Alps

So I’m looking at golfs at the minute - auto trader lists this as ULEZ exempt however the TFL website lists it as chargeable :/

I was due to view it tomorrow now I’ve pulled out.
Hey Ibsy, to put it simply, as Ive mentioned above, the TFL website and how they have gone about doing this is a shambles. Because of them, I sold my beloved Audi RS and am still crying about it! You can try emailed them, but TBH I really don't think it'll get you anywhere. It didn't help me at all!

msward

Novice Member
I am interested in this, I was looking for a car in August 2020, we live just outside what will be the new extension in October and I mean just outside, we are in Greenwich borough so I was of course checking all the cars I was looking at.

Anyway found a Renault Koleos 2009 2.0 dci and checked the reg on their website, it said it was fine, compliant with ULEZ and so I purchased it.

Luckily I had not driven in to central London as today I was listening to LBC and heard the adverts again about the new zone so sitting there just typed in the reg again only to now be told its not compliant !, so I have apparently blown £3k after checking the 'Official' website.

Now luckily I am a bit anal and I take screen shots of everything like that and have the screenshot telling me it was compliant back in August and TFL have confirmed nothing has changed in respect of the standards.

Now I am about to ask Mr Khan to either exclude my registration or refund me £3k and if I get no joy I fully intend to start legal action against TFL and indeed Mr Khan if I have to and take this to the press as clearly they cant just mess people around like this, if their is a rule, it has to be laid down so you can understand it and obey it and you cant do that if they simply change it without any notification, if they make a mistake, the minimum they need to do is inform any owners of any vehicles they have changed the status of or else in theory you need to check if your car is not brand new every time you want to enter London just in case and how many people would have stored the screenshot ?

This is totally mad.

xxx_ibzy_xxx

I am interested in this, I was looking for a car in August 2020, we live just outside what will be the new extension in October and I mean just outside, we are in Greenwich borough so I was of course checking all the cars I was looking at.

Anyway found a Renault Koleos 2009 2.0 dci and checked the reg on their website, it said it was fine, compliant with ULEZ and so I purchased it.

Luckily I had not driven in to central London as today I was listening to LBC and heard the adverts again about the new zone so sitting there just typed in the reg again only to now be told its not compliant !, so I have apparently blown £3k after checking the 'Official' website.

Now luckily I am a bit anal and I take screen shots of everything like that and have the screenshot telling me it was compliant back in August and TFL have confirmed nothing has changed in respect of the standards.

Now I am about to ask Mr Khan to either exclude my registration or refund me £3k and if I get no joy I fully intend to start legal action against TFL and indeed Mr Khan if I have to and take this to the press as clearly they cant just mess people around like this, if their is a rule, it has to be laid down so you can understand it and obey it and you cant do that if they simply change it without any notification, if they make a mistake, the minimum they need to do is inform any owners of any vehicles they have changed the status of or else in theory you need to check if your car is not brand new every time you want to enter London just in case and how many people would have stored the screenshot ?

This is totally mad.

The website isn’t fully accurate you should check with the manufacture. I don’t think you’ll get far with “claim” tbh.

msward

Novice Member
Manufacturers don't make the rules so they cant be held responsible and indeed will likely just pass you on to TFL as if they give you information to sell a car they would possibly become partly liable, TFL make the rules so its up to them legally to supply the rules so you can adhere to them, its illegal to have a set of rules or terms that cant be interpreted i.e. they change without telling anyone.

They also have a mass of radio adverts telling you to go to THEIR website to check which I did back in August and it said it was complaint so I have done my side of the deal.

Its not like its a new car, they have had 10 years to decide if its ok or not and until at least last August you could legally drive it in London.

No court is going to agree you can change a set of rules without telling anyone, they have not changed the rules on emissions for ULEZ and its been going for some years now with my car apparently fully compliant now they decide to change it, something only they can do not the makers.

Mr Livingstone told me I could not sue him for my time and costs when he messed up on my congestion charge fines, apparently you could not sue them for their mistakes, funny but he paid up pretty quick when I sent the legal papers to him and the press.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Edited to reflect further research and information:

I would be tempted to drive into the congestion charge zone, but not pay. When the ticket arrives, appeal it stating that it has been issued for the wrong amount as according to the TFL website, the vehicle in question was compliant with the new rules.

It's likely you won't be alone and you will be added to a class action to determine a point of law.

I can only go by the current TFL website, but it makes it clear that the data on there is only valid at that point in time and could change in the future. That nice little get out of jail aside, they also clearly state that any diesel vehicle pre 2017 is not going to be compliant, so buying a 2009 diesel car - even if listed as compliant at that time is probably not a great idea as it goes against their overarching policy.

I would check the manufacturers specifications for the car as published at the time of construction. If they indicate that the car should be compliant, TFL don't really have a leg to stand on, but if it was never going to be compliant, they could argue they made a mistake, or the data from DVLA was incomplete and their website was for guidance only. It is highly unlikely that any car sold so long before the applicable Euro standards came into force would meet the tougher regime, so I highly doubt any 2009 car would meet the 2017 standards for NOx and particulates.

In any case, you have acted in good faith and made a financial decision based upon information published on an official website, so you may well be able to make a claim on this basis.

Quite honestly, unless you have a car from around the transition times -2006 for a petrol and 2017 for a diesel, claiming that the website gave you misleading information is probably not going to work.

It will be interesting to see how you get on!

Last edited:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Any diesel bought in 2009 is going to be Euro5, thus falling below the Euro6 standard of the ULEZ.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Manufacturers don't make the rules so they cant be held responsible and indeed will likely just pass you on to TFL as if they give you information to sell a car they would possibly become partly liable, TFL make the rules so its up to them legally to supply the rules so you can adhere to them, its illegal to have a set of rules or terms that cant be interpreted i.e. they change without telling anyone.

They also have a mass of radio adverts telling you to go to THEIR website to check which I did back in August and it said it was complaint so I have done my side of the deal.

Its not like its a new car, they have had 10 years to decide if its ok or not and until at least last August you could legally drive it in London.

No court is going to agree you can change a set of rules without telling anyone, they have not changed the rules on emissions for ULEZ and its been going for some years now with my car apparently fully compliant now they decide to change it, something only they can do not the makers.

Mr Livingstone told me I could not sue him for my time and costs when he messed up on my congestion charge fines, apparently you could not sue them for their mistakes, funny but he paid up pretty quick when I sent the legal papers to him and the press.

They haven't changed the rules. For diesel, it needs to be Euro6 from 2016 onwards, is your car Euro6 from 2016 onwards?

sep8001

Just checked our car which is 2001 Audi 1.9tdi and that is showing as exempt, so not sure the euro 6 make is always 100%, or I presume the card is euro 6. How do I check?

Thank you

xxx_ibzy_xxx

They haven't changed the rules. For diesel, it needs to be Euro6 from 2016 onwards, is your car Euro6 from 2016 onwards?
Spot on here I think there’s 1/2 cars which are are 2013/14 that are EU6 Golf GTD MK7 and a 3 series. Although even those 2 cars I’d still proceed with caution.

xxx_ibzy_xxx

Just checked our car which is 2001 Audi 1.9tdi and that is showing as exempt, so not sure the euro 6 make is always 100%, or I presume the card is euro 6. How do I check?

Thank you
It will be a mistake. You can probably get away with using it for now but there no chance that car is EU6.

xxx_ibzy_xxx

So when buying a car it is not a good idea to check the ULEZ site then?
Best to check with manufacture / dealer and have it in writing. Usually it’s cars newer than 2015/2016 if you’re looking at diesels. With petrols even a 2001 can be fine I had a old 2001 Yaris which was exempt.

These stricter rules mainly apply to diesels.

mjn

Distinguished Member

Thank you

A 2001 diesel will not be euro6, zero chance. It'll be euro 3 or 4, super dirty.

IronGiant

Remember this:
I spoke with a contact someone put me in touch with at TFL. I put the full scenario to them about cars which SHOULD by TFL standards be chargeable BUT are showing up on their vehicle checker as exempt and what would happen if I bought the car and at a later date TFL admitted an error and started to charge. They said TFL would be within their rights to move the goal posts as they please and advised me against buying anything that is NOT Euro 4.
No doubt the same applies to diesels and Euro 6

sep8001

What a pain, I wish TFL would update their site so that the correct results are shown by search.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett