ULEZ - are diesels even worth considering these days?

Would you buy a used diesel?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
My Lexus (IS200, 2002 petrol) is really getting towards the end of it's life. Only 162k, which is nothing for the engine, but the clutch needs changing, it needs a cam belt, service, the brakes are juddery, and the suspension bushes/joints are a bit arthritic. It's not bad for 19 years old, and I hope to get it to 20, but I really have to start looking at a replacement.

We're all likely to be in leech cars in less than 10 years I think, so I'm not looking for a forever-car, but if I'm going to spend 10/15k, I want to get as long as poss. My problem is although I live outside London, I do often drive into it and inside the ULEZ zone. So I don't want something that's going to prohibit that. And with the ever-changing stringency of the ULEZ (and it's inevitable expansion) I'm wondering if buying a 5/6 year old diesel (for example, I've been looking at the 2L Jag XE's) that's currently ULEZ compliant, might be a bad idea, and I could find myself with a car I can't drive in a couple years...

mjn

Distinguished Member
I’d avoid diesel if going in the ULEZ. You need a 2016 / newer euro 6 diesel. For petrol, only 2005 / euro 4, which opens up more possibilities.

finbaar

And of course, this is the current target. It will become more stringent for emissions in the coming years. Not good if you plan to keep an older vehicle.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom