1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulead VS7 and Widescreen issue

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Clint C, May 30, 2003.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chaps

Sorry if this has been asked already but couldn't find anything on it during my brief search. Does anyone know how to get a widescreen output from VideoStudio 7?

I've recorded in widescreen mode on my Sony TRV30E, captured via firewire and immediately it's squished the picture up so everyone in it looks slimmer. When creating an output file, everyone's still squished.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smashin:

2. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know the answer to this point either. I'm trying to decide between the Sony TRV22 and the TRV33 (which does 16:9) so it's a crucial point. Anybody know?

3. brucehvn

brucehvn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC camcorder that does the widescreen format by squeezing the 16:9 picture into a 4:3 frame. If I capture this to VS7 using the MPEG/DVD capture (not DV), there is an advanced option in the capture settings to set the display as 16:9. As long as you just edit the captured video and save it in the same format, it will keep the necessary ID tags in the MPEG file to tell your DVD player, etc. that it is a widescreen video.

If you try to mix MPEG files in a project (some widescreen, some normal), then your output video will only set your DVD player based on the first video in the project. If you want to mix video formats on a DVD, then you need to keep the mpg files seperate and add them one by one in the DVD creation portion of VS7. In that circumstance, your DVD player should happily switch back and forth between modes as required.

If I capture with the DV mode, the captured AVI file does seem to have some information in it about being widescreen. When I play it in the ATI file player, it does display it properly in widescreen. However, trying to do anything with the file in VS causes that information to be lost and it won't be in widescreen format once it gets to the DVD. It just appears squished again.

That's the only support for widescreen I've seen in VS7. Ulead reports that their MediaStudio Pro product has complete support for widescreen formats.

Bruce

4. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bruce

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Although if I save it in the mpeg/DVD format, will I be able to send the edited video back to the camcorder and not lose the Widescreen format?

Excuse my "newness" to all of this.

Clint.

5. brucehvn

brucehvn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm not sure about that. I think that if you capture to mpeg/dvd, edit, and then write it back to the camera, it will still be squished the same way it was to begin with since VS never really recognizes the widescreen anyway. You will have lost some of the original quality because of the mpeg compression, though.

Bruce

6. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please also bear in mind that if your CCD is not widescreen in the first instance you won't be able to get widescreen using the full CCD resolution unless you put a special (anamorphic) lens infront of the camera. The camera just uses less pixels in widescreen mode.....