1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulead VideoStudio 7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mossmanfly, Jan 30, 2004.

1. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just doing my first bit of editing and wanted to ask a few questions about Ulead VideoStudio 7.

In the prefences under capture it has "image capture deinterlace" should that be ticked? As I will be capturing full DV quality editing and then using VideoStudio 7 to convert to DVD.

Whats the best capture mode? As I have set it to DV Type 1.

Actually I think thats it. I downloaded the help videos from www.ulead.com. Had experience with Ulead Movie Factory 2 so when outputting to DVD I know what to do.

Actually is there a way to capture DVD files from the camcoder and still edit them, and then burn them without converting them? As even though the PC is a XP2800 1Gb RAM its still going to take a few hours if not more to do a good sized DVD.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is usually better to tick the 'de-interlace' box but it really depends on what you are going to do with your final footage - experiment a bit - capture a 5 min video with it ticked and see how it views on computer, DVD, tape etc. then do the same thing with the box not ticked and do the same thing. See what works for YOU use which gives you best quality for what you want to do.

DV-1 is propably best as it captures Video and audio together, type 2 separates the video and audio into to separate files which can lead to synchronisation problems. The help file tells you some of this - just press F1 when using UVS7

re the final question, are you saying you have a DVD camera, - I don't know much about them - do you not just take the disc out and put it in your PC ???

3. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    No its a Sony TRV14, I will output to DVD to view the footage.

Another problem I seem to have is the sound is messing up in parts. Captured the same footage and its the same on both of them at the same parts. Its fine when hooking it up to the TV and playing it from the camera so its not on the tape. The drive is a 57.2Gb, basically 50% of a 120Gb 7200rpm ATA133 8mb cache drive. I have put Virtual memory on the drive in XP and set it to default.

Other footage is mostly ok, but its on just one part thats pretty bad.

Looking at the footage the sound seem bad in the last few minutes or so. I capture 30 mins in one file and then did another 2 that were less. So what I might do is try and capture 10 mins at a time to keep the files smaller.

4. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Tried the section that has sound problems by capturing just that scene. And it still has sound problems. The sound is fine on the TV, it is also fine when playing it back on the camcorder.

May try using Movie Maker 2 to capture to see if I get the same problems, as I am pretty sure its not the tape as it would show up on when playing the tape on the camcorder and through the TV.

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would always capture to PC as DV (.avi) regardless of what you eventually decide to do with it.

The sound problem is a bit different - never come across that, I can only speculate that there may be a problem on the soundtrack affecting transfer as DV over the firewire which the analogue transfer doesn't see. If it's not a synchronised bit of sound like somebody talking perhaps you could try capturing the analogue sound as a .wav file and dubbing that over the original soundtrack

6. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It is someone talking. Its me on the camera just touring round the house talking to my dad and the cats :D.

The sound seems like its just cutting out at times. So in a sentence its annoying as the sentence is not understandable, I know what I said but others wouldnt. As I said it doesnt appear on the tape when playing through the TV. And seems to be on the same spots. I havent actually watched it while capturing, so I could do and see if it appears on the PC.

Another thing is what sound mode to use on the camcorder, as I use 16 Bit rather than 12 Bit. I read that for some programs its easier to use than with 12 Bit. And 12 Bit is only really used if you want to add a voice over with the camcorder. With 16 Bit can you still add voice over with software like VideoStudio 7? As it seems you can as you have the various tracks to put things on.

The Firewire cable isnt mine as mine from Amazon has not come yet after 2 weeks, got a Firewire cable, pair of Sony rechargable batteries for my Sony DSC-P72 and a QM71D for the Sony TRV14.

I will try and use a different capture program to see if that works. But my friend also has a older Sony miniDV camera, nearly the same spec as the TRV14 but in a bigger size and with a 3.5" LCD which is not touch screen. If it captures ok on his computer with his camcorder, then I can try my camcorder to see it it also works fine on his.

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you are out of shot when talking then lip synch wouldn't be a problem, you could just capture the analogue sound as a .wav file and dub this over your video and mute the original sound.

I always record in 16 bit sound and then dub additional sound at the editing stage, I did read an article that apparently some Samsung camcorders do not transfer sound to a PC if using 16 bit but I've never heard anything about Sony.

Yes trying another setup is always good for eliminating problems it will give us an idea of where to look for the solution

8. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My friend is ill at the moment so I can't test it on another system. Will look at other programs and test things out. Hopefully i'll be able to report back soon about the results.