ulead 5DV Help please!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Dennis Leighton, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi All,

I have been given an old copy of Ulead 5DV in order that I may learn to put my camcorder tapes eventually onto disc. Whilst I have downloaded a small portion of a tape of mine so that I gain some experience I am having difficulties and would appreciate some help. I have gone from 'Capture' to 'Storyboard' and am trying to delete one or two individual clips in 'Timeline' but am failing to do so. I have read and re-read the 'Help' pages but cannot find the answer. I am getting to the stage when this 'Silver Surfer' should pack it in and simply rely on editing in the VCR!! Could some kind soul (politely and very simply!) lead me through this process. Any help would be much appreciated for I am literally 'greener than grass'.

2. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Further to my post above I have decided that it is more sensible to update myself to the new Ulead Studio 8 and so my query now is cananyone on this forum recommend a retailer selling online. I have noted that Dabs.com are selling it at £39.98. Thanks in advance.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Dennis,
    if you have Windows XP then you have a free program for capture & editing called Movie Maker. Get the free upgrade to MM2 from the MS web site. To learn how to use this very simple program have a look at www.papajohn.org

Mark.

4. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Mark,
    Many thanks for your helpful reply. I should have mentioned that I am running Windows M E and whilst it does have Movie Maker it does not appear to allow for text to be added. I had managed successfully to play around with it which made me think I was ready to go onto greater things!!! If I could get text on to it I would be quite happy - perhaps it is there and I've missed it (not unusual!).
    Thanks once again.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    I'm sure you can add text to the video with MM2. Have you upgraded to MM2?
    Take a look at the web site I linked to above and that will show you what you can and can't do in MM2.

Mark.

6. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    ark,
    Very many thanks for your interest and help. You are correct. Movie Maker 2 does do text and many other things besides but when I have gone onto Windows Updates there appears to be no way of downloading Movie Maker 2 onto Win.ME - it appears to be related to XP only. Incidentally the www.papajohn.org site is excellent and very informative but again it only appears to relate to XP. I note that www.dabs.com are selling ulead video 8 at £39.98 plus postage and that seems to be well recommended on this forum - would you agree?

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have version 5 installed on your computer then you should be able to instal the upgrade version of Version 8 obtainable from www.ulead.co.uk for £25-85.
    The upgrade version is identical to the full version but the first thing that happens when you try to instal is that it checks that you have a previous version, it is just Uleads way of rewarding loyal customers. The offer from Dabs looks quite good as the Ulead price for a 'full' version is £43-10.

I personally use Ulead VideoStudio 8 all the time and am very happy with it.

But going back to your original problems with UVS5 - to remove a clip from the timeline or storyboard simply highlight it by clicking on it and then press the 'delete' key on your keyboard, or right click over the clip and choose 'delete'.

8. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Many thanks for your so helpful reply. Unfortunately I only had the onscreen instructions for the ulead 5 so I have decided to purchase ulead 8 from Dabs so that I have the instruction book etc. I know that you and many others on this forum speak highly of it so am now looking forward to the arrival of the postman! Chances are I'll be wishing for a drop of rain so that I have an excuse for not going out! Incidentally I was doing as you suggested for deleting but the whole storyline was disappearing which frighted me somewhat so I went back to 'undo' to restore since which time I have been trying to find out what I was doing wrong!! Grateful for your help, Beejaycee.

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have access to version 5 anymore but I do have a working version 6 which was very similar - I just checked and in the storyboard mode on my version only the clip that is selected - (has the red box around it) - is deleted when using either of the methods I suggested.

Version 8 is a huge improvement over versions 5 & 6 and quite a major step up from 7 so I think you will find version 8 well worth the money. If you'd like to read the user manual and other useful information which will help you use UVS8 before you get your discs you can download them from here :-
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/documents.htm

10. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You have been so helpful Beejaycee and I do appreciate it. I have been onto the ulead site and have downloaded the user manual which has really whetted my appetite. Can't wait for the postman! I really have struggled with V5 and was about to give up on ever getting my tapes onto disc but you have given me heart now. Many thanks.