ULEAD 10 - Can't see my camera - Help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by retep, Jan 2, 2007.

1. retep

retep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i have ulead 10 video editing software and it can't see my sony video camera to capture the video.
    My camera sits on a docking station its a sony (something 22E) i think, the output is a small 4 pin firewire as is the input on my laptop. When connected if i go into capture on the software it reports back that it can't find any devices to capture from. My camera is connected and in play edit mode but is not seen, also windows does not report the device as connected when you plug it in.
    Any ideas on what to check, run or setup?

thanks in advance.
    Peter

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Ulead VS 10 will "see" your camcorder once Windows does

Look at the Camcorder menu to ensure any "DV out" option is enabled ( if present)

then Check your
    Firewire cable, is it loose on any end? If possible try another one as they can sometimes be dodgy

And look under devices manager to see if the IEEE 1394 Bus host controller has an exclamation mark: that may mean you PCs firewire card has a problem

While it us the case that you capture what's on the tape in play mode, even in record mode the PC should "see" it

Try the Camcorder with same cable ( and perhaps different cable) on another PC/ Laptop to rule out a problem with your own camcorder and cable

or Try somebody else's camcorder on your PC

By this process of elimination and troubleshooting you will find out where the problem lies
    :)

3. retep

retep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    thanks for that, i have tried most things you mention other than the camera settings, can't find anything on there to set. the output is on the cradle the camera sits in. and seems to be ready to go the camera is a dcr-hc22e

thanks, any further help would be appreciated.

peter

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It may not have one.
    Having tried these thing have you actually tried someone else camcorder on your PC/laptop?
    If so does it work?
    The
    Causes would be
    Poor firewire setup on your PC ( or loose card) (Faulty windows??)

dodgy cable
    Faulty camcorder fire wire port

Only elimination can zero in on the cause