1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK's 10 Ten Plasma TVs (42")

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by toby_smith, Oct 30, 2004.

1. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to pour some petrol onto the fires....from "Digital Home" magazine, here are their Top Ten 42" Plasmas TVs :

1) Hitachi Platara 42PD5300
    2) Pioneer PDP-434HDE
    3) Philips 42PF9966
    4) Fujitsu Plasmavision P42HHS30
    5) Panasonic Viera TH-42PE30
    6) Sony KDE-P42XS1
    7) JVC PD-42V31
    8) LG RZ-42V32
    9) Toshiba Stasia 42WP36
    10) Samsung PS-42P4

3 of top 4 are ALIS.........light touch paper and stand back :devil:

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    listed in order of the advertisers contributions to the Magazine

guess Panasonic doesn't feel the need to give them much money!
    or maybe it's cos the PW6 is not a TV but a plasma panel.

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    On that basis, judging by the size of the adverts in the issue in question, the Philips should have won, and Tiny crept in at the bottom end. Maybe Sony should have at least topped the Panasonic as well - they aren't shy with the money, are they?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC and Tosh are panels too......... These things are a load of rubbish just ignore them.....2nd time this list has beed posted tho..

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not the models in the list...

6. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pj - you're claiming the magazine has vested interests and are biased with their opinions, do you have a vested interest? ;) - I could be wrong but am guessing you own a PW6, which I understand is a very good plasma.

I agree that some publications show bias which is linked to advertising revenue but unless it is a totally unreputable publication then the link is not as pronounced as you suggest. Having worked in marketing for a major manufacturer (not TVs) and been responsible for product launches and advertising bugets going across European publications. Spending might soften up a magazine but it wont lead to outright bias. As an advertiser I wouldn't want to advertise in unreputable publications because readers are smart and know they are being fed BS, therefore the credibility of my advert would be reduced and I'd be pissing my money away.
    Typically if a magazine doesn't think much of a product that is from a major advertiser then they might rate it medium to good but would not give it a best buy type rating, they will just be careful with their wording (look for things they don't talk about etc). And yes journalists are subject to the commercial pressures of the editor and the advertising manager but do also have their own credibility to defend and hate being bullied by the sales manager and editor. [Note I am not talking about tabloid press here or national newspapers where this may be different, I have no experience of that]
    I used to get reports on column inches of media coverage and whether it was 'on message' and favouralbe. In my 3 years in that role I found very little link between media spend with any one publication and how well we were rated by them. In publications I didn't advertise in they just may not mention my product as often as a competitor who did advertise.

P.S. I own a Hitachi so seeing it at the top of the list did make me chuckle as the Hitachi and ALIS does get a good knocking from this board

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I did say

"or maybe it's cos the PW6 is not a TV but a plasma panel"

take your pick.

8. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Glad to see the Hitachi topping the list :)

Only thing i think they could do to improve that model is to add a digital tuner.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think it's down to simple ignorance. You don't get qualified to work on a hi fi rag, there are no exams. Obviously there are such people as serious, knowlegable enthusiasts who are writing, unfortunately they are a minority. The ones I have met (quite a few) did not have a brain the size of a planet. And in the recently used words of H.Dragon, 'wouldn't know a good picture if it fell on their head'. The list seems to bear a direct relationship to units sold, as far as I can tell, is it based on a survey of JL customers?