1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Xbox - its a PC so why is it not MULTI-REGION !!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monkeyleader, Feb 8, 2002.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Okay,

I just pre-ordered my xbox and although Im really looking forward to playing it I was annoyed to finally hear that its not multi-region. Im not talking about movies - Im talking about games. Look its a PC inside - and I can quite hapily buy a PC game from the states and play it on my PC - so why not the X-box. I also hear it wont be chippable ? This is a con, a disgrace even, the uk price / release dates for games suck - am I going to be stuck with this - I want the option to play games from the uk or the us. Ive got this with my ps2 and gamecube - so why not with the Xbox. In my book its a BIG mistake from Microsoft.

there said it ..

nige

PS: yes the easy option would be to import a us console but every so often I would also like to walk down to my local store and pick up a uk game .. grrrrrr

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I understand, there are tons of guys out there right now, trying to hack the X-Box open for just that reason. (among others) Unless I've missed something, they haven't been able to do jack. MS has really locked that system up solid.

I'm sure it will be chippable down the road, but when, is anybody's guess.

3. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PC was never designed for Games, it was designed to be an open standard, thats why the PC is not region coded, I am sure that some Publishers would prefer it if it was region coded.

DVD Players and Consoles are region coded to protect the interests of the Manufaturers, Developers and Studios.

Microsoft have left it up to the Games Publishers to decide if they want to region lock their games, if they decide they want to leave them region free they can (unlike Sony and Nintendo who force the developer to set a region)

Also you mention that your Sony and Nintendo consoles can play US games, is this an approved mod? I think not (Sony recently sued and shut down a few mod chip companies).

BTW:The Xbox is not a PC, the Xbox has no VGA output port for a PC monitor, as the Xbox was designed for the Television.

Anne

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Azrikam,

I agree. Anything that is remotely related to a PC (thats pretty much anyting these days) will fall to the hackers, especially when there's a few quid to be made. If ever the phrase 'nothing is impossible' applied to anything it would be most apt here given the PC heritage of XBOX. The architecture of a PC is fairly open but MS have done a job on the XBOX, time will tell who is more clever. For now its a waiting game.

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox Region coding is software based. The hardware is unlocked, but software publishers have the option to turn on region coding.