Uk wii in the USA - Help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by klmitchener, Feb 3, 2009.

1. klmitchener

klmitchener
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved to the US & have a uk wii.. I bought a Wii HD compent cable & thought that would solve the compatibility problem but I seem to have sound & no picture now & it says invalid format on the tv.. Is there something I can do to get the picture.. I have no picture so can not see the menu to change any setting???
    Help... I have all the uk versions of games & fit board so just need to get the console working with the US tv...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Do you remember which image setting you had the console on before you left? Unless the tv is a very old set I would have thought it should work fine on 480p, not sure about the other resolution settings though.

Perhaps you could test it on another tv to see if it works and check the image settings, most modern tvs accept both PAL & NTSC inputs but obviously not all.

Also are you certain you have connected it up correctly and haven't got your green & blues the wrong way around for instance, or maybe the phono red mixed up with the component image red?

3. klmitchener

klmitchener
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just checked the leads & I think they are correct.. it comes up with some desorted writing when I switch input to the wii & says 480i in the corner & then goes black with invalid format bottom right but I can hear the music ... The TV is a new Sony Bravia.. only purchased 2 months ago when we got to the USA... only just trying to hook the UK wii up to it..

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Even with high definition and enhanced definition the PAL/NTSC thing is still an issue as far as I'm aware. TV's in the US generally do not support the PAL format and that is why I suspect the Wii is not working with your TV. It's not like here where all TV's bought in the last five years are both PAL and NTSC compatible.

5. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Moogle suggests, it's no doubt because your Wii is in PAL 576i mode, or in 480i mode. Both these forms of interlaced mode on your UK Wii will be 50Hz. US tv's often have no support for PAL - even new ones.

Best bet is to turn the audio up high, then slowly (blind) navigate into the system menu and change the video mode to 480p.

It's much harder to do on a Wii than other consoles, but it at least vibrates/makes a noise each time you float over a menu option.

6. vegasvicki

vegasvicki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to go into the Wii main settings now and change the screen format from regular to HDTV.