iTunes Movies and general Apple TV chat

The price is irrelevant to me. Or the the number of films that disappear.

Thats an impressive number of movies which would've come at a considerable cost to you over the years I should imagine. What would happen if you accessed your library tomorrow and you only had 930 movies? Or the next day you only had 720? Im exaggerating I know, but at what point do you stop saying "For what I pay for iTunes stuff, life's too short to worry about disappearing content"?

For me right now, I'm only 200 odd movies deep into this. Yes It's cost me a few hundred quid but I'm not as heavily invested in this as many of you hardcore digital movie collectors are. When I actively started participating in this forum I kind of introduced myself and said how I used to buy VHS, then moved onto DVD and then blurays but eventually just started torrenting everything. This kind of shady practice makes me want to go back to my old method of acquiring content. Some of you may read this and I think I'm being pathetic and throwing my toys out over one £3.99 digital movie but its how I feel right now...

Apologies if I've broken an forum rules by mentioning torrenting.
Not trying to start an argument btw, just genuinely interested in your thoughts as someone that clearly is well invested into buying digital content :)

This seems to cover it pretty well, was having a read last night.

For what I pay for iTunes stuff, life's too short to worry about disappearing content. No they shouldn't be able to get away with it, but none of us have deep enough pockets to do anything about it.

All we can do is try to get some of the bigger sites or the media to pick it up and run with it, even then that probably wouldn't make a difference, unless Apple started seeing a massive downturn in sales.

For the record, to the best of my knowledge, none of my 954 films or 70 odd tv series have disappeared permanently as yet.
The only issue I have with most of these types of articles is they’re always focusing on Apple when it’s not entirely an Apple issue as it’s an industry issue.
It’s the likes of Apple that are seen as the bad guys when it’s the studios that are the ones in the wrong.

That’s what I like about Moviesanywhere.
Any MA compatible titles stay on Google Play/YouTube (not sure about VUDU) & on MA itself permanently, even if it were to go missing from iTunes or another service

Most of my digital collection is MA, with just some Paramount/Lionsgate/MGM titles not MA.
Which is fine for if you only ever buy from the US and via the MA partners but as usual you’re screwed if you live outside the US.

checked my iPad and con air still wasn't showing this morning (iPhone was ok last night as was MacBook Pro). Tried signing out, rebooting my iPad - in the end I had to delete the TV app and then reinstall for it to go back into my library. strange.

Which is fine for if you only ever buy from the US and via the MA partners but as usual you’re screwed if you live outside the US.
I decided early on to stick with US only (despite all the good UK deals), just because I liked the flexibility with access via the ubiquitous YouTube app.

Believe me, I used to get in just the same frame of mind over the thought of films just disappearing :D

I still enjoy a good rant about buying 4K stuff that gets downgraded to HD, as far as I'm concerned I bought 4K, I expect it to play in 4K, despite Apple saying we technically only bought HD, even though they're advertising 4K :rotfl:

As I said, to the best of my knowledge, none of my content has permanently disappeared, so I don't worry about it.

If, as you say, 100s started disappearing overnight, then yes, that would change things and I'd certainly stop buying new content.

That's as likely as my house getting struck by a meteor and wiping out a few hundred of my disc collection, I'd probably have the same recourse with that. I wouldn't be able to provide the insurance company with a comprehensive list of what I'd lost, nor the cost, which would've been considerably more when I bought them than they are worth today, so I'd likely not recoup anything like enough to replace them, even if I did know what was missing.

No, films shouldn't disappear permanently from our libraries and in practice, except in very rare exceptions, they don't.

If Apple get to the stage where they're going bust, I'd back up my collection. Don't see that happening anytime soon though. Even if it did, I doubt it would be literally overnight, with no warning.

At the end of the day, it's something that you just have to live with if you want to go digital.

What's the alternative? Spend a hell of a lot more on discs.

What happens to all the films you might own when you can no longer buy a VHS player, or DVDs if there comes a point when you can no longer buy a DVD player? Doesn't matter if you've still got a room full of discs if you can't play them.

checked my iPad and con air still wasn't showing this morning (iPhone was ok last night as was MacBook Pro). Tried signing out, rebooting my iPad - in the end I had to delete the TV app and then reinstall for it to go back into my library. strange.
I’ve found switching between different accounts helps with any weird glitches like that - like it clears the cache & forces a refresh.

What happens to all the films you might own when you can no longer buy a VHS player, or DVDs if there comes a point when you can no longer buy a DVD player? Doesn't matter if you've still got a room full of discs if you can't play them.
I have had a fair few discs that have stopped working (not scratched - maybe due to rot or something else I can’t see) & I’ve had no alternative but to rebuy them again.

I’m still mainly physical media with digital as an easy way of sharing with family, & also for watching on different devices.

Believe me, I used to get in just the same frame of mind over the thought of films just disappearing :D

I still enjoy a good rant about buying 4K stuff that gets downgraded to HD, as far as I'm concerned I bought 4K, I expect it to play in 4K, despite Apple saying we technically only bought HD, even though they're advertising 4K :rotfl:

As I said, to the best of my knowledge, none of my content has permanently disappeared, so I don't worry about it.

If, as you say, 100s started disappearing overnight, then yes, that would change things and I'd certainly stop buying new content.

That's as likely as my house getting struck by a meteor and wiping out a few hundred of my disc collection, I'd probably have the same recourse with that. I wouldn't be able to provide the insurance company with a comprehensive list of what I'd lost, nor the cost, which would've been considerably more when I bought them than they are worth today, so I'd likely not recoup anything like enough to replace them, even if I did know what was missing.

No, films shouldn't disappear permanently from our libraries and in practice, except in very rare exceptions, they don't.

If Apple get to the stage where they're going bust, I'd back up my collection. Don't see that happening anytime soon though. Even if it did, I doubt it would be literally overnight, with no warning.

At the end of the day, it's something that you just have to live with if you want to go digital.

Cheers for your response, appreciate it 👍🏻

I feel like I'm in predicament now. Don't know whether to carry on down this road. I'm praying no films I want come into a sale over the next week or so. It'll give me more time to ponder things 😉

Yeah, I remember a lot of talk back in the day about disc rot, not sure I ever experienced it, but the amount of discs I've got that I've only watched once or even not at all, it's entirely possible that some of them would be unplayable now.

Effectively the same as having them removed from my library, with the same amount of comeback from my end.

yeah I requested a refund for both movies, just in case, and got the customary corporate reply: 'We’ve carefully reviewed your case and determined that we can’t refund your purchase based on our terms and conditions.'

Also emailed 101 (thanks Gonzo), so see what they see.

Fear I may need to check my collection more regularly now.
Can you let me know what the email address is please? I'll fire off an email to them too 👍🏻

Cheers for your response, appreciate it 👍🏻

I feel like I'm in predicament now. Don't know whether to carry on down this road. I'm praying no films I want come into a sale over the next week or so. It'll give me more time to ponder things 😉

No worries and I didn't take it that you were trying to start an argument :thumbsup:

There's risks in whatever format you buy in to, betmax or HD DVD anyone? Chances are at some point you're not going to be able to play back what you've bought for whatever reason.

To the best of my knowledge, we've had one confirmed case (What We Did In The Shadows) being permanently removed. Unless there are thousands of others, I'd say that was pretty good odds for the millions of titles Apple must sell.

The only issue I have with most of these types of articles is they’re always focusing on Apple when it’s not entirely an Apple issue as it’s an industry issue.
It’s the likes of Apple that are seen as the bad guys when it’s the studios that are the ones in the wrong.

I suppose Apple are the main player with digital music/films, so any easy target that everyone has heard of and the one likely to affect most people.

Once again, the US is the only place that matters. Sucks that we don't have MA over here.

Yeah, I remember a lot of talk back in the day about disc rot, not sure I ever experienced it, but the amount of discs I've got that I've only watched once or even not at all, it's entirely possible that some of them would be unplayable now.

Effectively the same as having them removed from my library, with the same amount of comeback from my end.
Yep, titles that originally worked fine but wouldn’t play after I tried playing them after a long time (so wasn’t due to disc being worn out).
Tried on 2xBD player, PS4, PS3, 2xPC BD drives - discs just wouldn’t play. Off the top of my head I’d say I’ve had 10-20 disc affected.

Luckily none of the titles were rare, so was able to buy new replacements fairly cheaply by that point.

As I said, to the best of my knowledge, none of my content has permanently disappeared, so I don't worry about it, especially as I future proof myself by buying 2 or 3 copies of the same film just in case.
Bloomin AVForums seems a tad buggy lately, always leaves part of your posts off but shows up fine in the quotes 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh well never mind, at least we can all see what you’ve written now 😉😁

I had the discussion about films disappearing with someone on Facebook last night and I said the price I pay for films - under £5 I don't care if I lose a film as I'm looking at it like renting from blockbuster back in the day.

I used to spend £20+ on every 4K disc release and sometimes triple that on a steelbook, I've sold off a lot of my collection but still have thousands and thousands of films sitting on shelves and in boxes that I cannot be bothered to search through to watch a movie.

One big benefit is if I don't like a movie and I've paid £3-£4 for the digital it doesn't matter as much as paying £20 for a film that I'd be lucky to get back a tenner for after ebay/PayPal and postage fees.

I can also let family access my films through YouTube and ATV boxes which is another bonus, my children all have an ATV box so I don't have the worry of discs getting scratched or lost as well.

The advantage of never watching stuff, Schrodingers discs, they both play and don't play, but until you try them you never know :laugh:

Bloomin AVForums seems a tad buggy lately, always leaves part of your posts off but shows up fine in the quotes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mostly waffle, so you're not missing anything :rotfl:

This seems to cover it pretty well, was having a read last night.

For what I pay for iTunes stuff, life's too short to worry about disappearing content. No they shouldn't be able to get away with it, but none of us have deep enough pockets to do anything about it.

All we can do is try to get some of the bigger sites or the media to pick it up and run with it, even then that probably wouldn't make a difference, unless Apple started seeing a massive downturn in sales.

For the record, to the best of my knowledge, none of my 954 films or 70 odd tv series have disappeared permanently as yet.

could not agree more. Again it’s just personal opinion but I couldn’t even tell you half the films I do own so doubt would spot anything missing.

does this make it right ? God no. Not at all. Be it free or full price it’s never right if it just disappears but I doubt I’d ever even notice. And as you say it usually sorts itself out

god I used to spend 50 quid a time on a laserdisc and watch it once and purchase so many dvds back in the day not only do I have stacks in attic unwatched but dozens still in the envelopes from play !

for me life is too short. The prices I pay for a film are pretty much “rental” prices.

anyway. Back to the bargains lol

No worries and I didn't take it that you were trying to start an argument :thumbsup:

There's risks in whatever format you buy in to, betmax or HD DVD anyone? Chances are at some point you're not going to be able to play back what you've bought for whatever reason.

To the best of my knowledge, we've had one confirmed case (What We Did In The Shadows) being permanently removed. Unless there are thousands of others, I'd say that was pretty good odds for the millions of titles Apple must sell.
Let's hope we don't have a 2nd confirmed case 😓

In summary, as long as Home Alone hasn’t disappeared, goooner doesn’t really give a damn about disappearing films 🤣

Is there still a general rule as to what studios have films automatically turn 4k in the UK? I know Disney don't.

In summary, as long as Home Alone hasn’t disappeared, goooner doesn’t really give a damn about disappearing films 🤣

They can take all the films they want out of my library so long as they don't force Home Alone on me like they did with that U2 album a few years ago :laugh:

Has What We Do In The Shadows been removed? I own that and it plays fine and is in my library but the one in the store says I have to buy it. Has anyone who 'lost' it actually checked their library to see if it's there?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom