iTunes Movies and general Apple TV chat

Wouldn’t be surprised if HP dropped in price when Fantastic Beasts 2 is released (1 is on sale now). But as mentioned this is the best it’s been in a long time ... also Chamber of Secrets now has the extended version as an extra

The HP discs didn’t have Atmos did they? They had DTSX so I’m not sure if they will ever have Atmos.

I rewatched The Postman recently and it hasn't aged well. I loved it 20 years ago so if you just add "in 20 years time" to either the beginning or end if every re view written when it first came out, they kind if make sense now.
I paid £8 for a second hand disc in CEX! That'll give some people here nightmares! :eek:
Jeepers. 20 years.

Stick it on my watch list.

Harry Potter collection down to £29.99. Is this the cheapest since it turned 4k? Also....any idea if it’s atmos?
[Grumpy old bloke mode]
Being an adult, I have no really interest films about boy-wizards etc. :)

Instead, I’ve bought Slaughterhouse Five for £3.99 - a bit of a cult classic sci-fi imo.

Imagine a lot have them, but hell or high water and wind river are $4.99 on the us store, both well worth picking up, superb movies, written by the same guy that wrote sicario.

Damn! Loads good stuff on both UK and US stores today.

Now, I'm off to get that Tesco 10% iTunes discount!!

Not massively discounted but there are some excellent docs for £5.99 at the mo: Mountain, Blackfish, Search for sugarman, Senna, Act of Killing.

(That last one is a superb film if you haven't seen it but is extremely intense and make sure you give yourself some time to process it.)

Not massively discounted but there are some excellent docs for £5.99 at the mo: Mountain, Blackfish, Search for sugarman, Senna, Act of Killing.

(That last one is a superb film if you haven't seen it but is extremely intense and make sure you give yourself some time to process it.)
You and I share similar tastes in films.

I'm also about to blow some more money on Song of the Sea (OS store).

TopCashback Bonus
D5937F2C-7ADD-4CEF-9734-74FD32C82E44.png

American Made ..£3.99

Just Spent £3.99 on Space Jam. The first DVD I ever purchased in a cardboard case with a clip on it, from the US. Double sides if I remember correctly with the widescreen version on one side and the 4.3 o the other. Think it came with a Pioneer player that cost me about £500! Can remember also getting Cliffhanger with it as well. (Scurries back to store for more nostalgic money wasting)

Just Spent £3.99 on Space Jam. The first DVD I ever purchased in a cardboard case with a clip on it, from the US. Double sides if I remember correctly with the widescreen version on one side and the 4.3 o the other. Think it came with a Pioneer player that cost me about £500! Can remember also getting Cliffhanger with it as well. (Scurries back to store for more nostalgic money wasting)

[Wistful mode]
I remember when DVD was the latest thing. The first credible home cinema experience (other than actual home cinema). VHS was never really up to it - especially pre-“hi-fi stereo” when audio quality was dire. Picture quality was, at best, “adequate”, and S-VHS still had very poor colour reproduction.

I remember being amazed that DVD picture quality exceeded broadcast TV, and combined with a massive 32” widescreen, it looked fantastic.

Can’t remember my first DVD though. Possibly Snatch?

[Wistful mode]
I remember when DVD was the latest thing. The first credible home cinema experience (other than actual home cinema). VHS was never really up to it - especially pre-“hi-fi stereo” when audio quality was dire. Picture quality was, at best, “adequate”, and S-VHS still had very poor colour reproduction.

I remember being amazed that DVD picture quality exceeded broadcast TV, and combined with a massive 32” widescreen, it looked fantastic.

Can’t remember my first DVD though. Possibly Snatch?
You never experienced the phenomenon that was/is Laserdisc? Absolute necisity in the pre DVD days - and the sound quality was insane if you imported from the US and had DD 5.1 or DTS.
Remember waiting for side one if Space Jam to finish and the disc to turn over when no first watches the DVD :rotfl:

Weirdly enough Space Jam R1 was my first DVD ...... them where the days and all that.

My first ever DVD was Deep Blue Sea which I got to go along with the Wharefdale DVD-750.
Still haven’t got round to an upgrade of Deep Blue Sea and the DVD is sat on the shelf so perhaps an iTunes purchase should be made at some point.

You never experienced the phenomenon that was/is Laserdisc? Absolute necisity in the pre DVD days - and the sound quality was insane if you imported from the US and had DD 5.1 or DTS.
Remember waiting for side one if Space Jam to finish and the disc to turn over when no first watches the DVD :rotfl:
Funnily enough, that did occur to me after I wrote that post, and I’d have been very disappointed if I hadn’t been picked up on it by this forum! I didn’t have much experience of it, but Laserdisc was clearly several steps above VHS, and worthy of the term home cinema.

It was never really a mass market product like VHS and DVD though. I think LD was waiting for TV technology to catch it up (rear projection and other exotica excepted). The combination of DVD and affordable widescreen telly was the killer combo.

The big thing DVD had over Lasedisc was the anamorphic widescreen - LD carried the same amount of lines as VHS and the picture quality wasn't really that much better. The picture still had to be blown using the aspect ratio control on the TV.
Oh but the sound quality :smoke:

NTSC Laserdisc was the way to go. I still shudder now at how much money I spent on those discs and we moan about prices now! Thank god for these cheap digital bargains with extras :)
First DVD was US Little Shop of Horrors just before it got withdrawn, purchased at Ken Cranes. A US store which some of you may remember.

I used to get my stuff my Laserdisc House in Rochester Kent. I lived in Canterbury and it was a 20 min drive to collect my pre orders.
Was sadly o e of the first to fall along with the place in Wickford once FACT started bearing their claws :(

Edit - Laserdisc House was in Faveesham not Rochester

I too missed LaserDisc. Was just too expensive. But I remember going from VHS to the Samsung 807 DVD player and it blew me away on my 100kg 36 inch Sony Trinitron (a true monster). Hellraiser and Shawshank Redemption came free with the 807. 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on another. Those were the days lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom