UK TV travelling down under

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Aus k, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Aus k

Aus k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok will try to post this question again...

will a TV purchased in the UK work when i try to use it in australia?
    a very confused salesman on the Tottenham Crt Rd said YEP and was confused as to the question, "a tv is a tv" he said.

Then his much younger assistant informed me that UK = PAL I and Aus = PAL B/G so i need a mutl frequency tuner. ie a top of the range tv from sony or Tosh.
    Cool as i am thinking of the Tosh 32zp18p (untill i read all the probs) or a sony 32" w/s.

but then the crunch comment..... "but not many TV's that are made for the UK, will compensate for the REVERSED MAGNETIC FIELD in in the Southern Hemisphere...."
    There then followed an indepth explanation. as far as i can figure, the problem is that the "electrons fired from the back of the tube will not hit the screen in the right place because the Earth's magnetic field (down undder) is pulling them in the wrong direction.....

any truth to this???

a confused Welsh, Irish, Indian, English, Australian

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't it be better to purchase when you get there?

3. Aus k

Aus k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is i have no tv for the last 2 mths
    not reuturning to Aus for another 2 years
    w/s options in Aus are feeble from my recollection. then again things may have changed since last Sept.

Mainly Loewe and Grundig w/s models in Aus.....

Seems to be some truth in this magnetic field stuff....

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Aus this time last year, they did seem to be behind us in the A/V stakes. W/S was a very new thing.

5. MicoMan

MicoMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you will get any sound as the frequency they use is different.

I took a Casio Pocket TV and I could only get a picture but no sound.

I did manage to get the sound from one TV station on the radio so was able to watch and listen.

I rented a TV a few times but I wished had bought a cheap second hand one from one firm(I forget the name) who offer to give you half your money back if you return it in a month or so?