UK TV retailers

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mr_sockochris, Mar 26, 2002.

1. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im currently looking for a new TV and obviously i want to shop around a bit so i can find the best deal. The problem is that i know of only 2 places online that sell a good selection of TV's (empiredirect.com and techtronics.com). I dont want to bother with Dixons, Curry's etc cos they are usually £100 more expensive than online dealers. Where should i be looking?

thanks in advance,

chris

2. 306GTI6

306GTI6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    everybody goes on about getting a tv that is £100 or so cheaper than currys etc but when the set goes wrong and they get no help from the retailer they complain. I bought my tv from currys almost 9 months ago. In that time they have had to replace it 6 times due to faults. I rang them up an told them there was a fault. The next day an engineer came to verify the fault. If i had my tv for more than 4 weeks they took it away but if they could not fix it within 4 weeks they gave me a new one. They also let me decide if i wanted the same model or a different one.m Currys have been fantastic with me and I cant praise them enough. Nothing was a problem to them. I now seem to have a good tv but I know that if it goes wrong within the next year and currys cant fix it within 4 weeks i will get a new tv and another 1 year warranty. In my opinion its better to spend a bit extra and get piece of mind from a big company than to save a few quid and buy from an internet dealer whos shop and engineers could be at the other end of the country and who once they have the sale dont give a toss about you or your tv.

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You pay your money and take your choice.

Some poeple have had bad experiences on-line - others good (like me).

A lot of people have had bad (and very bad) experiences with Curry's and other retailers. Shaunthedude is obviously happy, but there are many that are not. I would question why it took 6 sets before getting a working one (perhaps they are chucking the boxes around at Curry's?? :eek: :D)

I purchased recently from qed-uk and saved £450. Quite a considerable amount. I have also not had any problems with the equipment.

At the end of the day, nobody is perfect and there is a certain amount of luck involved.

If you do a search on here for the retailers mentioned you will find a mixed bag of good and bad. So you need to decide whether you want to save money or be able to walk into a store and talk to someone.

Cheers

Laurel

6. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Shaunthedude' you don't work for Currys by any chance do you ??
    It does seem unusual that so many TV's have gone wrong so many times in such a short space of time.
    In my experience of browsing prices on the Web and High Street the savings from buying online are far greater than £100, the average saving being more like £500 (on rear projection which is what I am looking for).
    The money saved could be invested on an extended warranty .... which may be worth considering !!

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO, I do not work for currys. The faults I had with all my tvs were common faults to the tv I had. the first 3 were sonys and had the scrolling bars. The 4th was a panny which had a bar down one side (common to pannys I now hear) the 5th was a panny rp which had convergence problems, the 6th is the same which seems ok. Currys tried to fix one of the sonys as I had it for 6 months. they could not within 4 weeks so they gave me the new panny. GREAT SERVICE and I cant praise them enought for the way they have dealt with me. BUT I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!

8. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good deals can sometimes be had at currys. My TX28PB50 was purchased for £700 and currys were even willing to barter over the price. (as i found the rear speakers were absent)
    Yep, thats better than any web store i searched.

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CouchPotato

Was that ex-demo? That would explain the discount.

If not - why were the rear speakers missing?

Cheers

Laurel

10. 6thElement

6thElement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there's one near you go to a John Lewis. Large selection of sets, good prices and they give you a 5 year warranty.

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, john lewis give a 5 yr warranty but its not that good when you look at the small print. They took my mates away for repair and had it 3 months. at least with currys you know if they cant fix it within 4 weeks you get a new tv!!!!