UK TV people top gear repeats

chedmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I watch these every day, and the picture quality is terrible, but thats not the major problem, they are letterboxed in some wierd format, 4:3 it may be 14:9 it may be 16:9 its ridiculous when the original program was in 16:9.

Having watched these every day, being on study leave, i watched Top Gear on BBC 2 last night, and the picture was stunning, in an awesome 16:9, so sharp.

Anyone know why they letterbox a 16:9 format into a 4:3 frame? why not at least take advantage of sky's aspect ratio flexibility? ridiculous.

I don't think any of the UKtv channels broadcast in WS . Which is stupid when atleast 80% of their content is recent BBC output :thumbsdow
John

Because UKTV is a noddy outfit run by cowboys?

chedmaster said:
I watch these every day, and the picture quality is terrible, but thats not the major problem, they are letterboxed in some wierd format, 4:3 it may be 14:9 it may be 16:9 its ridiculous when the original program was in 16:9.

Having watched these every day, being on study leave, i watched Top Gear on BBC 2 last night, and the picture was stunning, in an awesome 16:9, so sharp.

Anyone know why they letterbox a 16:9 format into a 4:3 frame? why not at least take advantage of sky's aspect ratio flexibility? ridiculous.

Obviously a technical decision taken on the grounds of what is expedient. Quite possibly most people viewing the channel are doing so on 4:3 gear and 14:9 isn't a bad compromise, especially as the material will have been filmed with a 'protected' zone for just such a situation.

Remember, it wasn't so long ago that all Sky's own output was 4:3 only, even the movie channels.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom