1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK TV Copy Protection

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by netley, Jul 28, 2005.

1. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently acquired an elonex artisan

I am trying to watch TV recorded on it in WMP 10 on my networked home PC but cant

Is this because of UK copy protection on TV broadcasts? (I recorded from NTL)..or is there a convertor codedc that would help

I have tried a couple of freeware convertors but they wont work- which leads me to think it is copy protectedf- but that being the case does that mean that TV youve recorded can not be watched on any other device or in any other application than the MCE it was recorded in (it doesnt play in wmp10 on the same pc even)

How can they sell the benefits of portable devices?

Any help appreciated

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    There was an update to enable playback of dvr-ms files on a non-MCE PC which was incorporated into SP2. However it sounds like you have something different if they won't even play in WMP10 on the system that created them.

I have no problem playing back dvr-ms files on any of my PCs. Exactly what error message do you get?

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    No, it's not copy protection its because MCE uses stupid DVR-MS files for the recorded tv format. If the other machines have WIndows XP and Media Player 10 on they should play them back - check that they have all the latest windows updates.

If you have a look on www.thegreenbutton.com there are plenty of tools being developed to convert these files to other more universal format, one is being developed to do it 'on the fly' but I have not tried it out yet.

lisa

4. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had a simillar problem with Media Player 10 running on XP home SP2 refusing to play recorded TV programmes from the Media Centre through my network. In the end I tracked down the problem to Nero CD ROM writing software. I uninstalled Nero and replaced it with Roxio's latest offering and it all worked fine after than.

Incidentally Nero also stopped DVD X-Copy from working and this problem was also fixed.