1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Tuned STR-DB795, whatever!!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cYs, Nov 12, 2004.

1. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I waited over a month for my DB795. This machine with was gonna play a crucial role in my media production. Out the box and the build looks good, we all love them QS lines.

Set it up for just audio through 'A' speaker configuration (2.0) with my Sony MD. AAAAgh !!! What's that? That buzzing. Yes, unbelievable. My box-fresh STR-DB795 is making a audible low-level buzz, even without any inputs.

I have tested the amp for audio:

With two pairs of new speakers – Gail Gold Monitors and reconditioned Mission 701 with 2.0 configuration to A and B
    Without any inputs to the amplifier
    Without any other electrical appliances present (over 5M)
    With all electrical sources switched-off in my flat
    In another house

All ground loops eliminated.

UK Tuned?! Do me a favor!!! I reckon it's something to do with the grounding. Also, the two-pronged plug is less than adequate. Hey Sony UK !!! Why not test before releasing?

My Technics SA-818 never sounded better
    :smoke:

2. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    NOT good news. I recently suggested this as a budget option for a friend and he has ordered one through PRC Direct. I've read several reviews and none have mentioned any hum...

3. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi There,

There are now at least 4 threads on here concerning this buzz on brand-new Sony 795 amps - my previous Sony 790 did it also as soon as I set it up (only a couple of months ago) and I returned it as it wouldn't go away. I went back to my old Sherwood amp it was that bad!!

I'm sure they don't ALL do it - but there's obviously a design-fault/weakness that at least a good few of them have (bearing in mind how many more people will have brought one who wouldn't go on a forum such as this), and it may not be worth taking the chance.

Might be worth getting your mate to look at other options around the same price?

cheers,

Dave (JudgeBaxter)

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Take the piec of junk back and get a better amp:mad:

5. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh it went back as soon as I isolated the problem. Any same spec suggestions DFour? :cool:

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you specifically want a 7 channel amp then you will have to spend £300 or more to get that. If you not bothered about 7 spekaers then the Pioneer 814 is £234. Good movie machine but not so good with music.
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=102172&ReferrerCode=1
    Yamaha rxv450 £280
    http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co....48&PHPSESSID=657eaf1e6772bc28005f59bc326a5dad
    (the 130 watts per channle *6 is a typo though)
    rxv 550 £299 and rxv 650 £318.95
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1101
    Denon 1905 £249.90
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/
    Marantz 4500 £319.90 and 5400OSE ar £269 and 5400 £249.
    Also at peter tyson

7. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Dfour.
    It's the digital audio source I'm after. AV amps are well specced to hook-up computers, something audio amps are sorely lacking - you're lucky if you get one optical out. Seems to be a gap in the market. The Yammi spec looks good.

Cheers

:smashin:

8. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi there,

I think you can still get the Marantz 5400 for £199 from www.hificonfidential.co.uk - Got mine 2 weeks ago and it was delivered in 2 days from order. They may still be able to get silver ones also (I got a silver one and they said they had a few left). Absolute bargain for the money (used to be £500 quid!!!) and loads of connectivity.

cheers,

David (JudgeBaxter)