UK to get 200,000 Xbox 360's before Christmas.

Overlord69

Established Member
Reaction score
(Source: Unknown as it was emailed to me).
UK to get 200,000 Xbox 360's.

MCV, has managed to get some launch figures from Microsoft.

Microsoft insiders have told the magazine (MCV, a games industry trade magazine) that Europe will see 600,000 Xbox 360 consoles before Christmas, with the UK getting 200,000 of that shipment.

J Allard, in an interview with the magazine, stated that the rumours on a shortage over the holiday '05 period were "kinda BS".
Lets hope so eh! :)

200k machines doesn't seem that much. When the PS2 launched didn't it have ~185k machines and remember the shortfall?!

Yes but I don't think there will be as much demand as the PS2, remember when it was launched, the last gen of console were really dating badly. The current generation are still holding their own (FarCry et al) So I think people won't jump on the band wagon straight away.
azzo

azzo said:
Yes but I don't think there will be as much demand as the PS2, remember when it was launched, the last gen of console were really dating badly. The current generation are still holding their own (FarCry et al) So I think people won't jump on the band wagon straight away.
azzo

yeah right!!!............kids + christmas = xbox360 :D

pitchin4eva said:
yeah right!!!............kids + christmas = xbox360 :D

Adults + Christmas = Xbox 360. :clap:

Tejstar said:
200k machines doesn't seem that much. When the PS2 launched didn't it have ~185k machines and remember the shortfall?!

No, I'm pretty sure that was the number for the whole of Europe. It must be because this year the DS broke weekly UK sales records at 87,000 units in the first week (consequently broke by PSP last month) and the PS2 sold out in its first week as far as I can remember. That would mean the DS wouldn't have broke its sales records.

The 360 will not be in anyway near as much demand as the PS2 as sadly most people don't really know about it yet! Everyone (i.e. the kids and casual gamers) is talking about PS3 and most don't know what a 360 is or when it's coming out!

200,000 will be fine for the UK and with that figure i'd expect to see them readily available on the shelves (which is good as at least it means the profiteers will be left with some consoles that they can't shift :D ).

I would have imagined that 200,000 should cover all the current pre orders and leave a few for the shelves.

As Cas says, most people seem to be completely unaware of the 360.

I wonder how much of a marketing campaign we will see from Microsft when the 360 booths start appearing in stores in November?

Andy3 said:
Not exactly representative of 'the public', but among T3 readers the 360 is at the top of the list for Christmas. A good sign, surely.

I'm sure it will sell well, just not as well as the PS2 did at first. I expect the 2006 sales of 360 to be superb though and expect sales to build and build as more and more people are aquainted with it. It was the Playstation brand and sony's overhyped marketing that shifted the PS2. I still don't think that X-Box is anywhere near Playstation as a brand, but hopefully it will be come the end of the next generation. :smashin:

I reckon that there will be shortages in December in the final run up to christmas but i'd say that anyone who wants one on launch day should have no problems, which is good.

I expect Microsoft's ad campaign to begin later this month, intensifying in November. I would have thought that it will be a huge campaign focused on name awareness, whilst stressing that this is the first console of the next generation.

MacReady said:
I would have imagined that 200,000 should cover all the current pre orders and leave a few for the shelves.

As Cas says, most people seem to be completely unaware of the 360.

I wonder how much of a marketing campaign we will see from Microsft when the 360 booths start appearing in stores in November?

I think you're right mac, if they are shipping that many there will be consoles on the shelves for a few days at least - Still happy I've pre-ordered though

CAS FAN said:
The 360 will not be in anyway near as much demand as the PS2 as sadly most people don't really know about it yet! Everyone (i.e. the kids and casual gamers) is talking about PS3 and most don't know what a 360 is or when it's coming out!

200,000 will be fine for the UK and with that figure i'd expect to see them readily available on the shelves (which is good as at least it means the profiteers will be left with some consoles that they can't shift :D ).

You on drugs ? - practically everyone who owns an Xbox is aware of the 360....the demand is massive for them !

mjw123 said:
You on drugs ? - practically everyone who owns an Xbox is aware of the 360....the demand is massive for them !

No gave them up a while ago now :D . The X-Box has shifted no where near the units that the PS1 shifted and the brand is no way near as well known yet. The hype surrounding the PS2 launch was much, much bigger than the hype that surrounds the 360. I agree that it will be popular but there will be no where near the initial rush out to buy the machine that there was with the PS2 launch. I think that the 360 will really start to take off in 2006 and hopefully it can build up a sizeable suer base before the PS3 launch.

I'm not in any way saying that the 360 will not be successful so don't read that into it. I am merely saying that the units popularity will grow and grow and more and more gamers discover what a great machine it is. The good thing is that there will not be the stupid Sonyesque shortages at launch as initially you will mainly just have your existing harcore X-Box users buying them.

Update: (Not officially confirmed).

I've since found out that due to the manufacturing of the Xbox 360 increasing that:
"Europe will see approximately 800,000 Xbox 360 consoles before the end of 2005. The UK will be getting approximately 250,000".
Originally there was going to be a delivery for launch day and another during December. But Microsoft and It's manufacturing partners are now planning to have 3 deliveries (in total) before the end of 2005.
:clap:

No .... but where (generally) is it being held ? ... sounds like wednesday will be a busy posting day for some then !!

It seems there was @165k PS2's at launch acording to this article. I'm sure they won't be readily available on shelves...

hopefully 200,000 will be enough. But what i want to know is how many amazon are getting!

there will be enough now im quite confident of that. if you head over to the OXM uk website they have a interview with Xbox’s Regional Director for the UK and Ireland and he basically says there will be enough to cover the pre-orders and still have aload left for the shelves

Kopite4Ever said:
He basically says there will be enough to cover the pre-orders and still have aload left for the shelves

That's great news! :thumbsup:

here is a quote from him

Neil Thompson: We’re absolutely confident about satisfying demand. A lot of retailers have chosen to limit their pre-orders to a percentage of the overall volume of consoles they’re getting, so they’ll definitely have Xbox 360s on shelves that people will be able to pick up on launch day.

my brother is manager in game,and he said microsoft told them they will be no consols available to put on the shelves,they also only taken about 20 preorders! they have stopped taking them and that was about 2 weeks ago i dont know how true that will be :confused:

well there's one more console available - I've cancelled my xbox360 preorder.

I'll have a look again next year - hopefully after the first price cut.

Enjoy the console - it does look good but not enough 'magic' for me to jump in just yet.

it seems M$ havnt got a clue whats going on now. i quote J allard here

J Allard has come out and responded to questions regarding possible Xbox 360 console shortages come launch date. The bad news is there will be "some disappointment" for retailers and consumers.

Allard said there was an ongoing discussion around the "allocation issue": "It's a dialogue with the retailers, and it's not just by territory, it's also by country, and so at an event like this we can actually get some feedback from the retailers... So we can adjust our allocations."

Allard blamed the potential for shortages on the constraints of trying to develop silicon techniques and include the most advanced technologies within the 360, adding that any such shortages will not be concentrated in specific regions.

"We decided we're going to take a little bit of heat on allocations, frankly, in all the territories rather than take a lot of heat in one or two territories," he said.

"So, we're not saying Europe comes four months later, we're saying Europe comes now, but with that combining it with the physics properties of the silicon means we're going to have some disappointment in terms of what we can provide to retail and ultimately to the consumers this year."

"But that's okay, because we want to get the market started. We want to get started on a worldwide basis, we want to do the right thing for gamers, for our publishers and for consumers," Allard added.

He went on to concede that the Xbox 360 launch won't go without a hitch - admitting that there are "logistics issues" to be dealt with.

"Do I think [the launch] will go flawlessly? I don't, but I think it's the right thing to do."

"It's never fun to work really really hard and then get heat from the media, from retailers, from the consumer because we didn't have enough of the things or because something wasn't quite as perfect as we'd like it to be in our execution, but the team signed up for it, because it's the right thing to do."

Allard declined to offer any details of the 360's launch day software line-up but did confirm that Microsoft is hoping for "All three of the first party titles to be there on day one."

"We're hoping, though. We're not going to sacrifice quality to do it," he said.

"If something's not ready we'll hold it back... I mean these games are not far from being done, and if they're three weeks after the launch or they're on launch day I don't think it makes a significant difference."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom