1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Stock vs Grey Import

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by No vote Joe, Jan 14, 2003.

1. No vote Joe

No vote Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having agonized over what camera to buy (I’ve finally opted for the Olympus c300z), I’m now in a quandary as to where to buy it!!

As advised by so many, I searched Pricerunner and found a dealer (AskDirect) who offered a deal £20 cheaper than other e-tailers, and £80 cheaper than my local camera shop. I rang to confirm availability and to check that the camera was genuine UK stock and not imported, which I was assured was the case.

Seeing as my local shop had been so helpful, I thought it only fair to give him the opportunity to be competitive on the price, with the result being a reduction to within £40 of AskDirect. (But £40 is still £40 !!)

He then warned me to be careful of “Grey Imports”, stating that there can be warranty difficulties, and that there were ways to make grey imports seem like genuine UK stock. Needless to say, this has rather unsettled me!

Can anyone confirm or deny the problems with grey imports? Can they be made to appear as UK stock?

Is this sour grapes from a local dealer or should I be wary of the cheapest deal in town?

Is there any other way of verifying that these goods are UK genuine?

Many thanks from a nervous novice, Joe

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you a jessops near you?

Over chrristmas they were price matching web. All you needed was a telephone number of the supplier and a print out.

It worked for me and I saved £118 on a £550 camera

3. No vote Joe

No vote Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Top tip mate!! Jessops told me that it's an on going offer, as long as:

a, It's a UK company
    b, It's UK stock, not imported
    c, The product is in stock

All in all I saved £20 on the camera, but also got recharge batts + charger, extra 64 mb card and Lowepro case thrown in. And if it goes wrong I can bang on a shop counter and shout at a person!!

Thanks very much, Joe

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad to be of service!!!

5. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a few items from Askdirect & the service has always been excellent & ALL the goods have been UK stock.