1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Spec Pioneer versus Irish Spec?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hshortt, Apr 2, 2005.

1. hshortt

hshortt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

Can ye tell me if there's a difference in the Media Receivers with these TVs for Ireland? As I was checking out a high street price for the HDE today and it's 5K, but i can get a better price for the better XDE on Av-Sales.

The guy told me that the UK one would not tune to Irish TV stations due to some difference in the bands, so is this just shop waffle or is there some truth to it?

Essentially I want to buy the XDE with it's better Media Receiver and use it here in Ireland.

Thanks
    Howard

2. Craig Ireland

Craig Ireland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howard,

I recently purchased the Pioneer 435 HDE in the Republic of Ireland. According to the AV-Imports, the main importer for Pioneer in Ireland, the XDE model is only for the UK market and the HDE for other European markets, the difference between them being the media receiver. Out of memory, the HDE uses the ROX-5.

I am not sure of the technical implications if you were to source the channels from Sky rather than analogue.

Hope this helps.

3. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I believe the main difference between the HDE and XDE receivers is the the XDE has both an analogue and digital (Freeview) tuner, while the HDE has just the analogue.

4. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am helping my sister (who lives in Ireland) to source a plasma - can you advise on the website for this av-imports. Cheers.

5. hshortt

hshortt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

Turns out the differences are as stated by Kier (Insert suitable - I'm not worthy smiley here!)

The reason it's important to check is that Ireland uses UHF/VHF and analogue only. The XDE has two tuners, a digital and analogue so it's actually fine to use in Ireland so long as you connect your cable to the analogue input.

I've downloaded the manuals to ensure that this is correct and I've mailed AV-Imports directly to see what they say. I'll let you know, as the XDE is cheaper from the UK than the HDE is here! And not just a few quid, I'm talking over a thousand euro.

Cheers

6. hshortt

hshortt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello HShortt,

Roll on the new plasma see you soon on boards.ie

TCP/IP

8. hshortt

hshortt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Tcp/ip! :)

Nice to see you man! Ordering this beast tomorrow hope it will not take long to arrive.

Thanks for your help and pointing me here too, excellent forum, glad I'm buying a forum favourite screen too, some guys on here would eat you alive for purchasing anything else! haha

Cheers